Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I'm writing the online equivalent of a noticeboard using a really simplistic system of PHP, JS and HTML. A comment is added by an HTML form posting to a PHP page, which then appends the message to the text file containing all messages ($transcript.txt). The page this is on reloads every ten seconds using a JS function, but here's the rub. I can't use a frame (as far as I know) to display $transcript because of the height issues, so the form and the file are on the same page. This is inherently a problem because I can't figure out how to get this function to stop on keystroke, which it has to do, or else messages of more thsn about 10 characters aren't a viable option.
    Despite looking into onkeypress() etc, I can't anything to work. As far as I know, this is more a syntax than concept problem, but all the same, it's really bugging me. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Yours,
    DevCav

Remove Ads