Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    -Designing a website with rich categorized search content, I draw reference from eBAY as example. Is there a way to program that would allow a search to load a page with all relevant stored content automatically formatted with all applicable content( basically a template of sort which conforms accordingly) and sub category search buttons? Or is it I have to manually create each page for every category and sub category implement appropriate amount of coding to represent the available data for the category. HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS, ANYONE!?

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    It's possible, but your question is a little odd. Where's it coming from?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    All of their stuff uses variables stored in a db, look at the URL and you'll see all kinds of code in the URL, between session variables and variables built into the links and or created on the fly by the information in the DB, they are able to call multiple categories, sections, display targeted ads, etc based on the users selections.

Many sites run thousands of pages of content, but only call a handful do pages to display it.

I have one application I built for a client that has 1 .asp page to run the entire site, but all the data for hundreds of pages come froma db, depending on what the user selects, or the search tool find and generates links, the user is presented with different data sets.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228081
    All of their stuff uses variables stored in a db, look at the URL and you'll see all kinds of code in the URL, between session variables and variables built into the links and or created on the fly by the information in the DB, they are able to call multiple categories, sections, display targeted ads, etc based on the users selections.

Many sites run thousands of pages of content, but only call a handful do pages to display it.

I have one application I built for a client that has 1 .asp page to run the entire site, but all the data for hundreds of pages come froma db, depending on what the user selects, or the search tool find and generates links, the user is presented with different data sets.
    so, in creating a site or app that uses only one page to display data based on 80 or so categorized selections of the page vertical menu bar, I would have to create hundreds of little individual pages with each subjects coding to fetch relevant data from the DB so that when the subject page is called it opens in the nested window with all data of that subject only, formatted as desired. Is that what your telling me?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No, all your content ( including HTML code ) , can be inserted into a db

Think content management system. There is an ID Associated with content, content associated with categories, etc...

Build your links out based on categories, page titles, content titles, etc...

Then you'll also need a page or way to insert your page data into the db...

Member #
    OH okay, this gives me some direction and an idea of what to look forward to, thank-you for your time

Remove Ads