Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am new here and fairly new to web development etc so not sure where to post this.

Currently I use java script to encode my email on my site however I would like to be able to have the email address shown on the site in the txt link type I want (e.g. tahoma. xxxx.xxxx colour# a grey tone), not the default blue.

I have looked everywhere but I have been unable to find out how to do this and to have it as a clickable link. Is anybody able to help?

My site is done with xhtml 1.0 transitional but as a php file, and again am a newbie.

thanks in advance
    belnel

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    JavaScript is the best way to do what you're talking about, but you need one thats a little more complex.... Most spam bots don't process ( ignore JavaScript unless you are using the simple document.write and the email addess is readable in the code )...

I've seem some complex js code that actually break it up into multiple sections, then reassemble it when the JavaScript is called by the browser.

You can use asp or php to do the same thing ( in principle )...

What I normally do is asp is check the user agent string... If they aren't displaying a useragent... I stop the page processing... Any legitimate browser that a person will be using is going to display a USER_AGENT string.

I created a BOT catcher script a long time ago for those that display a valid user agent.

Create a folder somewhere on your site... Put several pages in it... Linked together... Make sure to put an exclusion in your robots.txt file ... Legitimate crawlers will follow those instructions and not follow any links into that folder. Then several places around the site... I put a 1px image link ( small enough a real person would never see then and accidentally click on them) but a site scraper and or mail bot will see it and follow it ( they follow all links )...

Because each page in the spider catcher folder is only linked to other pages... They follow in... Then I have several DB calls in there that feed them thousands of bogus URL's and about 40,000 fake email addresses ( corrupting their DB's that they are dumping their harvest into )...

Since I have about 40 domains... I also have one setup with a repeat of the above... And on every page there are noindex, NOFOLLOW commands as well as a robots.txt file with exclude all... ( legitimate crawlers obey these and don't index the site at all ).... Then I feed then several thousand moe bogus email addresses and URL's...

I have an email notification in each page of the spider catcher section and domain... When I get emails from them... I keep an eye on them and block their IP's from my main sites.

Quite amusing at times...

Remove Ads