Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello,

Anyone know any instant messaging chat coding for my website? I need it to have basic ban and admin rights.
    It also needs to be secure.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Try hotscripts.com

You do know that many hosting providers don't allow chat scripts, that should be defined in their TOS.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    oh really :/ what do you suggest i should do.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Either find a host that allows for them, or use a script that only uses standard protocols... Simple flat files and Ajax for refreshes... That keeps the load on the users machine instead of using server resources...

I've seen a few out there that claim to be built that way, but have never tried or tested any.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    OK I think my host can, what do i need to say. What code is involved?

Member #
    If you want to write it yourself your looking at JavaScript, PHP and a bit of HTML. Oh an MySQL.

Webzaurus said about hosts not allowing chat scripts but I've never heard of this, except IRC of course.

Create an interface using html. A div to display the messages, a textbox for them to type there message, and probably a name box too.

Then when they press send it should send a http request to a php file which will take the message and add it to a database or text file.

You should also have a script running on the page which checks every few seconds for new messages. This will be done by sending another http request to another php file which will check the database for new messages and return them.

--

What I just described will be sufficient for a simple chat.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyWebsites, post: 238453
    If you want to write it yourself your looking at JavaScript, PHP and a bit of HTML. Oh an MySQL.

Webzaurus said about hosts not allowing chat scripts but I've never heard of this, except IRC of course.

Create an interface using html. A div to display the messages, a textbox for them to type there message, and probably a name box too.

Then when they press send it should send a http request to a php file which will take the message and add it to a database or text file.

You should also have a script running on the page which checks every few seconds for new messages. This will be done by sending another http request to another php file which will check the database for new messages and return them.

--

What I just described will be sufficient for a simple chat.
    You may not have heard about it... But how many people actually read their TOS when they sign up for a hosting account.

Most decent hosting providers look at their overall traffic so 1 site is not generating so much traffic and or requesting CPU resources. Anything that constantly hits the DB with a connection request every few seconds is going to fall into that category or "excessive resource request"... Regardless of what you call it.... Unless you run your own servers, you are at their mercy.

Just because it's not spelled out "no chat scripts"... Doesn't mean you can run them.

Remove Ads