Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Form validation

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello there, ive just added my comments page to my mates website.

All well and good, i added a form that uses php and sends the comments to my email. I then found a jquery plugin that checks the fields before sending the message...

But what it doesnt do is let the user know it has sent sucsessfully or unsucsessfully. Id like the validation to be on the same page using jquery if its possible... so a little message appears at the bottom, saying cool beans

Any ideas of how i can change this?

Here's the page

http://connordesign.comyr.com/contact.php

thanks again
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://docs.jquery.com/Plugins/Validation

Never used it, but it'll probably do what you need.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm already using that plugin lol

I've found a page in a book I've got that will all some text to be displayed when the submit button is clicked. However it will display even if they press it and the form input isn't valid lol

Any more help please.

You mention you've never used it so what do you use to validate forms?

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My own custom validation. Depends on what i want to do with it, but the gist of it is that I use server-side validation first, and then client-side (i.e. jQuery) when I want to fill in the blanks and can do so easily.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Have you got an example of yours?

Im happy with the one im using but i just need it to say thanks when you click submit. Providing everything else is ok.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Unfortunately I can't, since in order to do that I'd have to reveal server-side code (a lot of which is custom)...and in order to reveal where I'm using jQuery, I'd either have to show you a site that's under development or one that's private. I don't have any jQuery examples on a live website.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    oh right... thats understandable...

would you be able to help with my problem though? its driving me nuts lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The thing with your problem is it's all in how you want to accomplish it. I gave you a plugin that should in theory work. If it doesn't...well, I haven't used the plugin before, so that I can't help you with.

Basically, what you need is a div underneath your form (call it #error, since that's how you'd reference it in jQuery). When the form's submitted, validate and store your errors there. That's about the best advice I can give you.

Remove Ads