Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi together,

Some months ago I developed a special php web application for mobile phones.
    Our customers use Samsung Galaxy xcover with Android and Opera Mobile for browsing the application.
    I use a JS functionality called "navigator.getUserMedia". I think it's very powerful, but there's something I'm missing.

Look: I use "navigator.getUserMedia" to give the end user the possibility to make snapshots and upload the images to my webserver directory.
    And it works fine, really!

But - and that's my problem - I haven't found out how to change resolution of these phone snapshots.
    I checked the whole JavaScript code if there's a possibility to define resolution information but without any luck.
    I tried to change some JS code phrases to define and configure image resolution how I want and how I need them. But no success!

Now I'm not sure if it's generally a JS problem. Could it be that the "navigator.getUserMedia" functionality doesn't have the possibilities I need?

Is anybody there who had or has the same problem?
    Did anybody solve it?

Yours
    Tommy

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Although there are a lot of things you can do with JavaScript, its more based with browser interaction and for security reasons,'direct interaction with an OS of any flavor is limited.

So what you're looking for is not possible with JavaScript alone... If you want OS LEVEL functionality, you'll need to move into a programming language that can interact on that level.

java with the correct libraries probably had that functionality, but many OS's on mobile devices restrict access unless there is user interaction allowing the access.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244328
    Although there are a lot of things you can do with JavaScript, its more based with browser interaction and for security reasons,'direct interaction with an OS of any flavor is limited.

So what you're looking for is not possible with JavaScript alone... If you want OS LEVEL functionality, you'll need to move into a programming language that can interact on that level.

java with the correct libraries probably had that functionality, but many OS's on mobile devices restrict access unless there is user interaction allowing the access.
    Hi and thanx for your help,

the only I think that makes me wondering is: Using the camera in general via JS works - our customers can make snaphots via our web application. But why I'm not allowed to define the images' resolution?
    I think that's a little bit unlogical. I hope I will find a solution of this problem. At the moment JS "shots" very small photos, that's not enough for our main customer.

Thanks

Tommy

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not logical ? Perhaps, but due to the nature of security issues and potential for abuse, its probably been left out on purpose.

I believe ( I may be mistaken ), there are packages in both IOS and Android mobile developer suites that will address this issue for you. But the path requires an APP.

The reason for tha app vs. a JS solution or even a web based solution would be mainly security purposes. The APP is installed on a users device by the user, and the level of OS interaction ( either uploading existing images or taking and uploading a new image ), is controlled by the user.

Years ago, JS had a lot mor OS level integration until it started being abused...

You might be able to accomplish what you're trying with an activeX component, that requires a user to accept the install or start, doubtful even activeX is even a viable option without user consent.

Member #
    Hi,

I respect your opinion in security discussion. It is my opinion too, but my company wanted me to solve the problem.

Now I found the solution in another bulletin board. It is possible to increase the camera snapshot images' size. It ist not difficult to realize but it was hard to find the forum's thread in the WWW.

So I'm lucky, my company is lucky, our customer is lucky

Thanx

Tommy

Remove Ads