Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So.... I've been working on this site layout and I have a spot that I want to use a list that you can expand and minimize some of the different categories. I want it to look something like this

+ list 1

+ list 2

- list 3
    item 1
    item 2

+ list 4

Everything that I've found online uses javascript which I know absolutely nothing about. I feel like I'm becoming decent at HTML and CSS but that isn't helping me here. No matter what I do I can't get theirs to work for me. I was thinking about resorting to the expanding list on hover that I could probably do with CSS, but I think the list of items may eventually become to long for that to be a practical solution. Can anybody help me out with this? Perhaps some one has some long lost code they have been saving just for this occasion? I just want to say in advance than I am grateful for any help that comes my way.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Everything you've found online uses Javascript because...well, that's the only way to do it. It's just that simple.

What you may find easier to work with is jQuery, and specifically the click event handler. It shortens things up quite a bit, you can add functionality such as sliding and fadein/fadeout, and it's easy to work with.

I don't actually have anything specifically for click behavior that I can think of, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I'll look in to JQuery. I just don't have the time to learn a whole new language right now haha. I'm sure I will get something that works eventually. Perhaps for now since the site has minimal content I can just put up all the links and sort it out before the list becomes too much.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    TheGame is right about using jQuery but should have also mentioned (since you said that you are familiar with CSS) that jQuery was designed to be similar to CSS with its selectors.
    What that means is, your familiarity with CSS will give you a head start in learning how to use jQuery because you select an object with jQuery the same way you do with CSS. So, if your CSS selector is "#nav li a" it would be the same syntax in jQuery.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Freelance Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In my defense, I was on my way to the gym at the time I said that. Wanted to get to the crossramp in time for FOOTbawwwwwwwwwllllllllllll!!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I do have an interest in eventually learning it, especially if my website ends up being even a little successful. (kind of a small target community to begin with.) Well, either way I would like to learn it because I like to mess around with web building in my free time. Its kind of a hobby for me, but right now I don't get much free time due to being deployed to Afghanistan. When I get stateside I should have more time to myself to take the time to learn.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nothing wrong with starting as a hobby...that's how I started. Just screwing around with stuff.

Remove Ads