Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm back with more frustrating web-programming tidbits.

I'm pretty sure it is not a javascript issue but a browser issue (a bug?) but I figured to post here anyway.

I'm working on a web page that has a JAVA applet loading with it that does a multitude of stuff. Last week I've added a bunch of graphic elements to the page (replaced buttons with images of buttons, background image changes on certain commands, etc.) and since then a wierd bug has appeard on my page that seem to happen ONLY in IE 6.

From time to time (couldn't find a pattern - but quite often) the background images of some of the frames disappear and all the images stop changing as they should -- e.g. the button images stay the same no matter how you click them - though they still perform their function.

It doesn't even happen on all the machines with IE 6 - just on two computers we have here at the office. They are Windows XP SP1 machines. Another thing I noticed that is in common on these machines, is that when typing in the password on my page, the hidden letters are not shown as * or black circles, but a string of the letter "a".
    For instance if you write in the password field:
    test
    you should see something like: ****
    but instead you see: aaaa
    Weird, huh? Probably not connected to the images disappearing problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Roy.

Member #
    have you got a link? so we can check it out...

make sure you got type="password" and not type="pass".

Member #
    I knew someone will ask for a link that :-)
    Unfortunately, this is currently an in-house project. No link available, and even if there was, you won't be able to get in without the right credentials (hence the password field )

I'm sorry.
    I checked, I did type ="password" and not ="pass".
    Thanks
    Roy.

Member #
    The version of IE6 I got with visual studio .NET had a very similar problem..... I would browse and occasionally images wouldn't load, check the machines that have the problem to see if the IE6 revision is the same or diff. to the 'working' machines - eg, 6.0.2600 and 6.0.2850 etc.

Member #
    The vesion of IE 6 is the same on both a machine that IE6 operates properly and on a machine that it has the images problems.
    It is: 6.0.2800.1106
    But the IE6 that doesn't work well is on XP pro and the other machine is windows 2000 server.

The full version for the XP pro machine is:
    6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920

Roy.

Member #
    Strange.... well my old problem must be different to your's obviously

Member #
    Try googling for your problem. If you can't find anything there (I didn't but you know your problem better) then try posting the problem at one of the following:
    http://www.annoyances.org/
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/
    - Brian

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've come across this once before and this fixed it:

- open your browser
    - from the tools menu, choose "internet options"
    - click the "delete files" button
    - check the box and click OK.

you may have cached an older picture that no longer exists since the site was updated.

Not sure if that's the cause of the problem you're experiencing but it's worth a try.

Member #
    Wow! Thank you very much.

I deleted the cached files and tried the page for more than 20 times and the images did not disappear! They used to disappear every 2-3 tries in the past.

The password field still has "a" letters instead of "*" but as I figured, it's not connected.

Thanks so much again,
    Roy.

Remove Ads