Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi Everyone

I need to create a very simple brochure website which has a login so that those logged in can view a catalog (pdf file).

Can anyone tell me how to create the login? I know html and CSS very well but not javascipt, which I'm presuming is what's needed here.

The login the only "dynamic" part of the website so I don't really want to go into php etc just for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Monique

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not only is Javascript not needed here...you do not want to use it for a login. Javascript is client side code, which means that anyone can read all of the code and extract the login / password for it, which defeats the purpose of a login / password setup. I've even "hacked" (and I use that term loosely) the competitor of a client of mine in 2001 when the competitor put several confidential marketing materials up on a website that was "protected" by a Javascript password prompt. Got in, grabbed the materials, left, and no one ever knew of my evil hack attempt.

Unfortunately, your answer lies within PHP (or, if you prefer, ASP.net or ASP or Ruby on Rails). This is pretty much what server-side code is intended for. You may not want to do it, but obviously this catalog is being password-protected for a reason, so you're going to have to use some server-side code.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for your advice - much appreciated. I think it might actually be easier just to build this in a CMS so that side is taken care of rather than trying to integrate something when I'm not familiar with how to code it... what do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not an advocate for CMSes, but if you want something quick and lazy you're probably right. This might be a case for Joomla.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Spider, post: 247621
    Thanks for your advice - much appreciated. I think it might actually be easier just to build this in a CMS so that side is taken care of rather than trying to integrate something when I'm not familiar with how to code it... what do you think?
    I have a question, when I see he login question, not everyone is talking about the same thing.

So the login will be unique for everyone ? Registration ? Validation ? Or just a simple "everyone gets the same password ?"

I know, silly question, but I've had clients tell me they want to password protect downloads, but then decided to go with a simple password that they would just email to users who asked for it ??? Go figure.

PHP on this one or ASP ?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    If you have the time, learn a little bit of php and mysql. Its not as hard as people make it out to be. Just find a good tutorial on how to create a simple login using php and mysql. I had mine up and running in less then a day when I did this.

EDIT: try this one. Super simple
    http://www.phpeasystep.com/phptu/6.html
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Remove Ads