Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Blog Theme Problems - jQuery related unsure !

Member #

Blog Theme Problems - jQuery related unsure !

There is a problem on my blog, the problem is to the right of the blog on the main page, where the text overflows. The text is suppose to be confined within the yellow cork board area. I was informed to upgrade jQuery. I had jQuery 1.10.2, I upgraded to jQuery 2.0.3, the problem still resides, I tried overflow:hidden for the style, that removes the tabs, arghhh. What is the problem

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Take the p tags out of your lists. Unordered lists are groups of list items (li tags). If you need to put a p tag anywhere, which you generally shouldn't, you put it inside of the li tag, not outside).

The other thing is that it looks like the divs are supposed to group the lists. You'd have to put overflow: hidden on those.

I'm guessing you didn't code this yourself and that you got it from somewhere. Where did you get it from?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    If you could post a link for me, i may be able to help.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The word "blog" is the link, Mare.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The word "blog" is the link, Mare.
    Thanks, Game.

This is just another example of my old eyes and the new site upgrade not getting along.

I really don't see any difference in the typography of the word "Blog" in that post. I wish there was at least an underline, bold text, a really definite colour contrast or something that would make it obvious at a glance that it is a link.

Maybe this is why I haven't been calling out as many link drops as I used to...

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    In the theme CSS I find - "Custom Wordpress Theme Developed by Dhruv Kumar S for Creative Sheep"

Themes with such layout-specific backgrounds as yours has, usually have some very specific CSS that makes them work.

In looking at the source code I see that in your <head> you have your CSS reset listed after the theme CSS and your custom CSS.

The purpose of a reset is to get rid of any browser-specific defaults, giving a clean slate to write the custom CSS on.

Since the browser reads from the top down, this means that in your case the reset is overwriting browser defaults and also theme CSS and custom CSS that are higher up in the <head>.

Edit the head of your theme, so that the reset is the first CSS to load.
    The file you'll need to edit will be the header.php file - but BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY or the site will break on the next update.

Better yet, create a child theme and put your customized header.php and the Bio_3D_Design/custom.css files in there - that way both Wordpress and the theme can be updated without losing your custom code.

Child Themes Basics and Creating Child Themes in WordPress | Wptuts+

How to Customize Your WordPress Theme With a Child Theme | Wptuts+

That should help a lot - you may still need to make a few CSS tweaks - you can do that in the custom CSS file in the child theme and then you won't lose your changes on update.
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Sep 30th, 2013 at 03:59 AM.

Member #
    I'm talking about #sidebar or #tabwrap. The PHP code wasn't completed by me, as you are aware, the PHP coder decided to take over the CSS as well, which left me in the dark.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shang Tsung View Post
    I'm talking about #sidebar or #tabwrap. The PHP code wasn't completed by me, as you are aware, the PHP coder decided to take over the CSS as well, which left me in the dark.
    I do actually understand what you are talking about. It is quite normal for the creator of a theme to write both the PHP and the CSS - quite often simultaneously, since they must work together to produce the final look of the theme.

The fact is that the position of your sidebar and tabwrap divs in the document is dictated by the HTML that is generated by the PHP.

The position and styling (colour, size, font, borders, etc., etc.) in the browser is dictated by the CSS.

In this case I can't be sure that moving the reset will fix all your problems, but I do know that putting it last in the <head> of the document will cause whatever selectors are mentioned in the reset to use the properties and values of the reset, rather than those specified in the theme's CSS or in the custom CSS.

It sounds to me as if you don't know a lot about coding - that's OK - that's probably why you chose WordPress, so you wouldn't have to know. But it is a handicap, because you don't understand how the site is put together.

If this problem stems from something you did to the code, I think you may need to start over with the original version of the theme.

If you haven't touched the code, and the unaltered theme is giving you this result, then I think you should get in touch with the person who created the theme for you and explain that it is not working properly and ask them to fix it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I was going to suggest this myself, and I'm usually the one that does. But Mare beat me to it.

I found a WP theme. Mare suggested break down and rebuild. THE WORLD IS COMPLETELY TOPSY TURVY.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Mare, at the time the theme was created, I didn't know much about CSS. The PHP coder told me, all I have to do is upgrade jQuery, that didn't solve the problem. I understand that the PHP is tied with the HTML.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads