Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

some help understanding yelp api?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a lil project on the side to practice api usage. It's going be a site to list different places to eat based on Yelp data.

Now, I'm not an API whiz... but I'm pretty sure Yelp's API documentation is barebones and missing something that explains how to use their API.

So what I basically see on their site is this:

1. They tell you to authenticate using oath and you can generate tokens. This part is easy, though they don't say what manner I need to authenticate.
    API 2.0: Authentication | Yelp for Developers | Yelp

2. Then they try to give me an example of how to use it in PHP (it's available for use in many languages). But their example is 895 lines! What???
    https://github.com/Yelp/yelp-api/blo.../lib/OAuth.php

So I'm just asking for some guidance here.... I feel like I understand the process in my mind of how to use their API, but I thought it was just add a snippet of authentication and then start making data queries... but I'm obviously ignorant of some steps that most API developers have. Help?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Okay, so there is very little in terms of Yelp API instructions, but I did look up OAuth instructions, which seems to be a popular protocol for APIs. It seems also that when I figure out Oauth, the knowledge should also help me with accessing other APIs such as Twitter and FB.

I'm still a bit stuck on how to implement this Oauth. I googled it, but I got so many different results with different setups and with lots of results pointing to github works.

So can someone just tell me what I should either do or lookup?

I thought I just had to PHP include an Oauth library, punch in my tokens and ids in that php file, and then start making API requests/calls.

Remove Ads