Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sarahswansea

Thread: Accessing sections of large text file on server

Member #

Accessing sections of large text file on server

Hi, I am trying to understand the general idea of how to best accomplish this.

I want to be able to have a large text file uploaded onto my website's server and then be able to access portions of the text file to display on my website. So basically, I should be able to start at the beginning of the text file and display, say, 500 words of text and then scroll down and the website will retrieve just enough of the text to make it seem like I am scrolling infinitely through the entire document. This seems to me similar to how facebook and twitter work? You scroll down through the feed and retrieve new data as needed. And I also want to be able to jump around through the document to access any chapter or page for example.

I'm familiar in general with things like AJAX and node.js to communicate with the server but I'm not quite sure if I am going in the right direction or if there is some other technology I should be looking at. Or am I making this out to be too complicated? I'm just not sure so thanks for any help!

Member #
    It looks like you've got the right idea, AJAX. Write a function that is triggered on scroll. Retrieve a 'block' of data and display it at the bottom of the page.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Business Software • Database • Internet • Websites
    Web Designers: Need some heavy lifting done?
    SoftLink Systems

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    If your server supports it, HTTP Range Requests would be the ideal way to do this. Here's what an jQuery AJAX request to do this might look like:

$(function() {
    $.ajax({
    url: 'test.txt',
    headers: {Range: "bytes=0-499"},
    success: function(data) { $('#results').html(data); }
    });
    });
    htmlcode likes this.

Remove Ads