Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Building a chrome extension **Bounty**

Hi guys! I am new here and to the web design world so I would like to start by saying thank you in advance for any help you give me. Each piece of help I receive will be rewarded with a bounty. The size of these bounties will be determined by myself and will be paid in Ethereum (ETH) to the address you provide.

I would like to start building a chrome extension for a website which uses javascript. The website is a poker website called www.globalpoker.com.

The site has a list of tables and I want my chrome extension to add a radio button at the top of the list so that I can filter the full/empty tables out of the list and only show tables with between 1 players and full table minus 1 players.

I figure this would be a great way to start learning JS and HTML. Is this too over-my-head to get started? I bought the book "Thinking in Java - 4th edition" and started reading it but I feel like I need to get my hands dirty to really understand OOP better.

Anyways - Where would be the best place to start this project? I understand that building a chrome extension will require a manifest.json file so that Chrome can understand what my extension is doing, give it versions, permissions, etc. So I have a text file named manifest.json with the following code:

{

"name: "Global Poker Add-On Goodies"
    "description": "Filter tables"
    "version": "0.0.1"

"manifest_version": 2,

}

Is this correct? and I need to add permissions but I am not sure which ones because I really don't know what this project is going to entail.

Thanks

6seven8

Member #
    Ok so this is the current manifest.json I have unpacked into the extension tab...
    {

"name": "Global Poker Add-On Goodies",
    "description": "Filter tables",
    "version": "0.0.1",
    "manifest_version": 2,
    "browser_action": {
    "default_icon": "icon.png",
    "default_title": "Global Poker Goodies",
    "default_popup": "popup.html"
    }
    }

This gives the extension icon up in the extensions bar and the name when I roll over it. When I click the icon I get the text from my html file. Here is my html file:

<hmtl>
    <body>
    <div style="white-space: nowrap">
    Global Poker Goodies
    </div>
    </body>
    </hmtl>

Now my next step would to be to use this extension to add a radio button to the global poker website. How would I go about this? The page I would like to add the radio button to is https://globalpoker.com/play ... I assume I need to add a javascript file that adds this button?
    Last edited by 6seven8; Jul 30th, 2017 at 12:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2773 times
    Honestly, dude, you're probably not going to get a lot of help here. This is a web design forum, and I don't think anyone here has ever built a Chrome extension. I'm the closest thing there is on here to someone who would have, and I haven't.

The one thing I'm going to suggest is the only thing I can suggest, and I suspect you've already been here: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/overview . Sorry I can't be any more help than that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads