Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all! As of lately I've been doing a lot of development using wordpress as a platform. Its easy to administer for and develop for and also has tons of plugins - but I feel like I've squeezed almost all of the juice out of wordpress that I can.

Right now I'm looking for a CMS (either Joomla or Drupal) that will handle custom data models or custom content sections. Elaborating on that - take Wordpress for example. Wordpress has very limited options on what you actually have to submit for content - you type it in, add a few pictures if interested and select a category. The only custom thing is adding in custom fields. I'm looking for a CMS that expands on Wordpress's custom fields feature.

It would be nice to have control over that on an adminstative level so that users would be REQUIRED to add certain fields based on the project specifications. For example some content types would require users to upload an image or require users to make a selection on a radio box or select a date.

Does either of the 2 aforementioned CMS's have these features? If not - what should I be looking for? If at all possible I want to avoid using a framework like CakePHP or anything like that - the learning curve on something like that and the time it would take to develop a custom CMS would be waaaay too long (and something at thing point I just don't want to do)

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks,
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Drupal has a built in feature to create various "content types". A content type might be a blog or it might be a product. You can create as many types as you like and call them whatever you like. With the module CCK (drupal.org/project/cck) you can add any number of additional fields to a content type. CCK fields have a lot of options, including making them required. Core CCK fields are stored as strings or numbers in the database but the form fields can be textfield, textarea, select, radio, or checkboxes. You can have image CCK fields with drupal.org/project/imagefield and date CCK fields with drupal.org/project/date.

I haven't used Joomla but I assume you can do something similar with it. For more about Drupal check out http://drupal.org/getting-started.

Member #
    Okay that makes a lot of sense. I'll look into it. Thanks for the info.
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    By the way, if you have problems finding the CCK Core, look for "Content Constructor Kit".

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    PS #2 - I recently switched from Joomla to Drupal. I far prefer Drupal.

Member #
    okay thanks - that makes sense. Content Constuction Kit.

Mosley - As far as your switch goes what prompted you to do so?
    Christopher Carvache
    Web Developer / SEO
    Northeast Web Design
    +1.860.906.7802

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I wasn't completely satisfied with Joomla, and read a few positive reviews of Drupal. Tested it out and loved it. After having used it, though, I'm not satisfied with the way it's put together. I think it's a really inefficient design (backend). Because there doesn't exist a PHP-based CMS that does everything I want it to, I'm actually building my own right now. The Transio CMS. :-D Expected release date of version 1 is September or October of this year.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Oh, another positive thing about Drupal is the templating system, which allows you to alter the HTML for pages, blocks, nodes, etc., whereas Joomla only alllows you to modify the page generation.

Member #
    I did a site with joomla and realised that the only way was to write my own cms. It was quicker than spending all the time to figure out how all the joomla files interact and where everything was so I could get it to do what I wanted. Plus the joomla support forum is terrible

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    My CMS will be better than your CMS. :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads