Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I had an inquiry today from someone who wants a community association website that they can administer themselves (i.e. just an average person will limited skills). Of course, they can't afford much. Whenever I've had clients that needed some type of content management in the past, I've always been able to administer it through php and mysql and give them a really simple admin panel to work with. But these folks can't afford to have me do all that so I was thinking maybe I could give them a Joomla install and let them use that. But I've never used it and so I don't know whether once I have it completed if it would be simple enough for them to utilize on their own. I've worked with Drupal in the past once or twice and there is no way I could turn an amateur loose in that admin panel. How is Joomla to work with? Are your clients able to understand and use it?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    With training, yes. In fact, there are books available on the subject. Joomla is a little annoying for me, but I have several clients who've been using it with few problems.

BTW, with Drupal, you can create a new user group with only the permissions to do what your client needs to do and assign the client to that group. Then they won't have as much of an issue.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensjeff
    I had an inquiry today from someone who wants a community association website that they can administer themselves (i.e. just an average person will limited skills). Of course, they can't afford much. Whenever I've had clients that needed some type of content management in the past, I've always been able to administer it through php and mysql and give them a really simple admin panel to work with. But these folks can't afford to have me do all that so I was thinking maybe I could give them a Joomla install and let them use that. But I've never used it and so I don't know whether once I have it completed if it would be simple enough for them to utilize on their own. I've worked with Drupal in the past once or twice and there is no way I could turn an amateur loose in that admin panel. How is Joomla to work with? Are your clients able to understand and use it?
    In my personal experience, no. If there is even a semi-tech savvy person on their staff perhaps, but every person I have ever handed the keys over to usually messes the website up sooner or later. Oh how I love those phone calls, haha!

There is a significant learning curve to effectively administrate a Joomla production site. Ideally you would create a front admin interface for basic functions and allow them access to edit the existing content. I usually just create a login page and a meu that only they can see once they login with links to basic functions like "Submit Content", "Submit a Weblink" as well as front end administrative access to any components they are using (if it is available). Any new content, features or sections you would set up for them.
    AXZM - Web Development | Web Consulting
    p: 214.607.6088
    info[at]axzm.com

Member #
    Joomla is very easy to use and administer. Joomla 1.5x the latest version is a significant improvement from previous versions. I have used it for many customers, some of whom are small businesses with little or no technical knowledge. Joomla has proved userfriendly and so far not created much problems in clients using the admin interface themselves. They might have some queries form time to time but it can be easily answered over email or chat. I have found the front end editing feature to b particualrly useful as in most cases customers only need to edit text on an existing page which can be done without accessing the more advanced backend admin interface.

Member #
    99% of the sites I make in joomla clients want to be able to update themselves, which isn't a problem as mostly they just want to add static pages/blog type stuff so I just make them an editor and its done. They cant really mess with the joomla backend as they have only limited access but its enough for their needs.
    Roll on joomla 1.6 with its update user groups then you can just edit what options you do/dont want them to see for a completely customised view of the joomla backend.

Member #
    I would say yes, depending on their level of computer savvy.
    Joomla is pretty basic to administer providing they dont go fiddling around with the core settings.
    Free Website Templates ZeroTemplates.com - You pay ZERO!

Member #
    Why not? Well, basically Joomla has a pretty clear interface and structure. Just try to practice it as much as possible at the very beginning and then you'll quickly get a practical knowledge of Joomla administration you need.

Remove Ads