Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello people,

I'm building a website for an animal rescue charity and it as to be really easy to edit for the employees. I've already installed Wordpress for the Blog but I need a CMS script that will let the administrator upload images of dogs and cats and easily enter information into text fields form the admin panel. At first I was going to install the Magento script because the backend is excellent. However, I feel this may be too complicated for them to update, even when I've taken out all the unnecessary things. Basically I want it to be like the ASPCA website. Take a look at the dogs profile section here:

ASPCA | Adoptable Dogs

Click on one of the dogs and have a look at the profile.

What I want to know is can I make a site like this with Joomla?

Can I upload images to Joomla and create profiles for the animals through the admin panel?

I thought of building the site like an ecommerce website because although they're not selling the animals, they are trying to rehome them. I figured people would search a rescue website like an ecommerce website, only difference is they wouldn't add to cart and purchase - that's why I considered Magento first.

Thank you for reading.

Member #
    What about Drupal?

What about Drupal? Do you think this would be a better option for creating a website like ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The main thing I'm looking for is to be able to upload multiple images and be able to easily create profiles of the dogs from within the admin/backend.

So a profile would look something like this at the frontend - photo would be at the left and then the rest of the images would be at the bottom under the description:

Name: Jack
    Breed: Terrier Mix

Description:
    Initially a shy type, Jack is searching for someone to help him come out of his shell—in return for a lifetime of love from a sensitive and loyal pooch. He loves people so much that he gets anxious when he’s left alone. Jack needs a compassionate adopter, one who’s committed to giving him his medication for separation anxiety and helping him learn how to be comfortable with the sights and sounds of the big city.

I can easily make this type of layout in Wordpress with the WYSIWYG editor but it would be nice if I can have something that is already structured like this in the admin section - so all the administrator as to do is fill in the text fields i.e. Jack, Terrier Mix, Male, 1 Year and then write the description.

Cheers

Member #
    Joomla would work fine. there are lot's more extensions for Joomla than the other CMS

Member #
    Go with joomla, i researched them all - blogger, wordpress, drupal and joomla and i am developer. Joomla won.

i use it now and there are lots of free templates and thousands of plugins.

small learning curve, but onece your into it its great.

there are some good charity templates out there too...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogle View Post
    Hello people,

I'm building a website for an animal rescue charity and it as to be really easy to edit for the employees. I've already installed Wordpress for the Blog but I need a CMS script that will let the administrator upload images of dogs and cats and easily enter information into text fields form the admin panel. At first I was going to install the Magento script because the backend is excellent. However, I feel this may be too complicated for them to update, even when I've taken out all the unnecessary things. Basically I want it to be like the ASPCA website. Take a look at the dogs profile section here:

ASPCA | Adoptable Dogs

Click on one of the dogs and have a look at the profile.

What I want to know is can I make a site like this with Joomla?

Can I upload images to Joomla and create profiles for the animals through the admin panel?

I thought of building the site like an ecommerce website because although they're not selling the animals, they are trying to rehome them. I figured people would search a rescue website like an ecommerce website, only difference is they wouldn't add to cart and purchase - that's why I considered Magento first.

Thank you for reading.

Remove Ads