Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    23330
    Hi,
    I recently got a freelancer to build a template for a Joomla site for me. Sadly as soon as they got their money they buggered off, leaving me with a few niggles... well you live and learn.
    There are a few of outstanding issues that with my limited Joomla experience I'm struggling with and hoped someone on here might be able to help.

    Culverdene Day Nursery Newcastle upon Tyne

    Firstly on most pc's that I've tested including an ipad, this on it looks fine, but on the main nursery computer the logo appears off centre. I personally wouldn't bother with a splash page as I can't see the benefit of it, but the nursery want it so it has to stay. I thought that their monitor might have been set to 800x600, but they are running 1280x800 - how does it look to you and any idea why it's off?

    Problem 1
    From main site - when clicking on home it takes you back to the splash page rather than home screen, how can I rectify this?

    Problem 2
    The logo should be a bit smaller so that it sits above the left navigation - currently it overlaps slightly. This isn't a massive problem, but my eye gets bothered by it every time I look.

    Problem 3
    The current typeface is Arial and appears squashed on some resolutions so I was hoping to change it to something easier to read like Verdana, but it isn't pre-installed in the template and none of the ones that are look any better - although I have tried to change the CSS, my skills are limited and it hasn't worked.

    I'd really appreciate any help on this. I realise I haven't given any technical info to help with diagnosis, but I'm really not sure what you need.

    thanks in advance for any help

  2.  

  3. #2
    WDF Staff smoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    9,729
    Member #
    819
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    Hi,
    Problem 1
    From main site - when clicking on home it takes you back to the splash page rather than home screen, how can I rectify this?
    Easy fix. Lose the spash page entirely. It's atrocious and is hurting your site, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    Hi,
    Problem 2
    The logo should be a bit smaller so that it sits above the left navigation - currently it overlaps slightly. This isn't a massive problem, but my eye gets bothered by it every time I look.
    Photoshop + FTP will solve this easily for you. Right-click on the logo, save it to your computer, open it in photoshop, Image Size to 70% or so, then FTP into your site, and upload it back to it's original location (you should have FTP access info from your web host).
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyb View Post
    Hi,
    Problem 3
    The current typeface is Arial and appears squashed on some resolutions so I was hoping to change it to something easier to read like Verdana, but it isn't pre-installed in the template and none of the ones that are look any better - although I have tried to change the CSS, my skills are limited and it hasn't worked.
    Verdana isn't easier to read - on the contrary, Arial is the easiest to read font for web use. The problem is that your font size is set wrong - to 12px. Pixel fonts are not ideal rendering. Change the font to 10pt and it will be perfect. This is on the first line of your template_css file. font-size: 12px; Change it to font-size: 10pt and you're set.

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    23330
    Thank you for your reply smoseley, I'll give it a shot. Sadly the nursery are dead set on their splash page so if I can find a way to make it better then that will be ideal otherwise it stays as is.

    thanks again


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com