Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

I'm new to Joomla, just having installed it tonight for use with a few pages I'm developing. I'm pretty novice when it comes to the home server and CMS in general, so I thought I would probe with a few questions. Right now the "My Site" is directed to my localhost root directory and works great. What happens if I want to have a few pages testing on Joomla (at home) at once? Is it possible to incorporate other webpages under the one admin, or would I have to set up separate accounts? In my root directory, would I have sub-directories, and if so, how would I point Joomla to them as the root? I'm working on a couple projects that aren't going to be on the internet for awhile, so it would be great to seamlessly move between them, trade tidbits of code, etc.

I'm trying not to attack with too much at once! Any discussion on this or directions to a relevant previous conversation on the site would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HUMMIKE, post: 217012
    What happens if I want to have a few pages testing on Joomla (at home) at once? Is it possible to incorporate other webpages under the one admin, or would I have to set up separate accounts? In my root directory, would I have sub-directories, and if so, how would I point Joomla to them as the root? I'm working on a couple projects that aren't going to be on the internet for awhile, so it would be great to seamlessly move between them, trade tidbits of code, etc.

I'm trying not to attack with too much at once! Any discussion on this or directions to a relevant previous conversation on the site would be really appreciated!

Cheers!
    For the first question THIS should be what you are after. Be warned though, doing a multi domain can cause bandwidth issues with your system (even for testing purposes) and I believe you have to have proper domain names. Go to co.cc for free domain names.

Personally I have a tree system. It goes

www - Joomla installed on route
    www - template01
    - blog

www - template02
    - shop

www - template03

The Joomla installed on route directory just has links to the sub directory joomla's.

I have a new copy of joomla within the sub directories of www, each one is different. Some use the joomla original data, some uses Lipsum text, some have no text at all.

This is the best way i have found with playing with Joomla. It helps you as the developer to debug issues and make the website futureproof (hopefully) =D
    HUMMIKE likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Also welcome to the Joomlarianism crew... at the moment it only seems to be myself within the forums but now theres 2 =D
    HUMMIKE likes this.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Haha, great! Thanks for the info, that seems clear to me, and having the separate Joomla installations will allow for a much more streamlined upload onto my web server.

I think the first overwhelming thing for me was the installation and subsequent article editor...I expected to just see my css, html, and js files and instead saw hundreds of template files, themes, and all that noise. I was really hoping I would just be able to edit my html, css and such directly in their text editor. (I suppose this is a follow-up question)

I'm getting pretty confident in my abilities in that realm and don't really want to use themes for the core design of future sites...I love just tapping out code in Notepad to be honest =D. How do you recommend taking my current work and using it in Joomla? Maybe I should be starting down this rabbit-hole in another thread...

EDIT: The main reason is because I foresee projects coming up in the near future where the client will want the ability to upload photos and blog entries without my intervention, and it sounds like the permissions in Joomla would be great for that...

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Give this a shot http://www.barryflood.com/blog/34-bl...-template.html
    It will teach you how to make a simple but effective template.

Simply a Joomla template is just a standard html template with some <php> put in specific locations.

Oh and use joomla 1.7, but also make sure you have an idea on joomla 1.5 too. 1.7 is alot easier as it no longer (thankfully) uses tables in its development process.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Great, I'll get started.

Remove Ads