Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi there,

I've been working with Joomla for a while now but don't have an IT background, so bear with me .

I've made a site which largely relies on a paid component, Recruitment Agency Manager (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... tment/8166), whereby the function to search candidates (people looking for a job) is crucial to the site. However, the 'candidate search' module (a free extra) is only available for Joomla 1.5 and my site is made in Joomla 1.7. I paid the developer to upgrade the module but they disappeared for over a week and then said they were too busy to do it and I should do it myself. Pretty astonishing. So after a while of trying to upgrade it myself I am still stuck. I updated the .xml file successfully, the module now works well in the backend. The remaining problem is that when searching, the module produces search results of jobs listed on the site and not candidates. I assume it is simply looking at the wrong line of my mySQL database where the candidates are listed. I've gone through and changed the PHP is all the relevant files but nothing is working. Here is a link to my site: http://www.internchina.org/recruitment/ ... applicants.

I've combed through this page: http://docs.joomla.org/Adapting_a_Jooml ... Joomla_1.6 and tried to conform to the changes, but can;t find anything which works.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, as I have clients and colleagues shouting at me to get the site finished!

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    *** BAD NEWS ***

I'm not sure you're going to find the advice you want without someone poring over your code and finding your issue. Unfortunately, that means finding (and hiring) another developer in all likelihood...it's just not something you're going to get from a forum. That's the bad news.

The worse news is that it's typical of designers and developers. I hear and see that quite a bit. Sometimes it's on the client, but in about 8 out of 10 cases, it's on the developer.

*** GOOD NEWS THAT SHOULD OUTWEIGH THE BAD NEWS ***

The good news is that you can probably find what you want in the PHP developer section on oDesk. In your particular case, I'd suggest using the hourly rate option just because it comes with a keystroke logger/screen capture tool so you can actually see what the developer is doing.

The better news is that, because you've already done a lot of the work yourself, you won't need to pay the developer as much to finish the job off (assuming you did your work more or less correctly).

I know that's probably not quite the answer you wanted, but it's the best answer I can give you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Believe it or not it's exactly what I needed to know. My first step was to wait for the developer, second step see if it's something obvious I missed via a forum, third step hire a reliable developer online to do the work. There are plenty of sites to hire freelancers and wasn't sure where best to go, so I've taken your recommendation and posted on odesk (https://www.odesk.com/jobs/Upgrade-s...f066b7d8461061). Let's hope someone can get it done soon.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nice. Hopefully it works out for you.

Although if I were you, I may edit the part out about what the developer said and just post about the job. You could potentially scare off some good developers without meaning to otherwise.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Ok thanks for the tip, I've edited the post.

Remove Ads