Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

Can anyone advise me if this is possible and potentially point me in the right direction please?

My friend owns 4 sweet shops in East / West Midlands. When people visit his website (one that I am looking to create for him) - the potential customer can enter their postcode (or their location is picked up automatically) and enter what sweet they are looking for i.e. 'Wonka Nerds' - this is the tricky part - not all 4 shops would sell the same sweets (only 2 sell Wonka Nerds for example) so the maps feature would potentially need to link to some sort of back-end database for that particular store, then display on screen how far the store is away from the customers location.

If they search for something like 'Fudge' this will potentially be available at all 4 stores and the closest store will be displayed.

Can anyone please advise on the best way to approach this project? I have used Joomla previously and would like to use it again for this project if possible.

Many thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I would recommend coding this up yourself as a custom Joomla extension. If you have even a basic knowledge of PHP, you'll be able to tackle this by starting with a basic "Hello World!" extension, then modifying it to do your custom search.

* Hello World component: http://docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_He...for_Joomla_1.5
    * Hello World module: http://docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_He...for_Joomla_1.5

What you are describing sounds like it would be better as a component, but there are more "moving pieces" to a Joomla component than there are to a Joomla module. If you're new to this, then build it as a module, then use Modules Anywhere (http://extensions.joomla.org/extensi...a-include/6402) to make your module work like a component.

Generally speaking, I recommend starting new Joomla sites with the newest version (version 2.5.3 at the time of this post), but if this is your first custom extension, then I recommend starting with Joomla 1.5 because while the documentation isn't great for Joomla in general, documentation for 1.5 is MUCH better than it is for later versions.

Remove Ads