Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Hi

Member #
    I am completely new to web design and very interested in learning. Recently I signed up to learn web design with ICS an online school. I'm looking forward to future discussions once I gain more knowledge so I hope everyone doesn't mind that I will have questions.

Looking forward to learning from everyone and interacting.

Thanks
    Debbie

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Welcome aboard!!!
    debbie likes this.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As in International Correspondence Schools? I haven't heard one of their commercials in years. Old school!
    debbie likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 203018
    As in International Correspondence Schools? I haven't heard one of their commercials in years. Old school!
    I'm not a fan, they don't answer questions. Oh well knowledge comes from doing.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LeenkzMike, post: 203003
    Welcome aboard!!!
    Thanks, this forum seems like an excellent place.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So...what does ICS stand for, then? Now I'm curious.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    International Career School.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, so it was this site that I found.

Debbie, please don't take what I'm about to say as a personal slight. It's not. But be prepared to learn what you have to from that place for the sole purpose of getting a degree/diploma/whatever it is that they issue, and then forget all of it five minutes afterward. This statement won't make sense until you've got a few years under your belt, but a cursory glance at their website indicates that they have no idea what they're doing from a code point of view, generated by one of the biggest blights ever unleashed upon the Internet (i.e. Dr*amw*av*r). Unfortunately, this is what they're going to use to teach you web design, and you're going to be taught some rather bad and archaic habits. That's the bad news.

The good news is that you're smarter than the average bear. Why? Because you posted on here before you got in too deep and were forced to unlearn bad habits. So that's a pat on your back for you. As you go through your course, ask us questions. Ask us a lot of questions. In fact, ask us anything you don't understand or that doesn't seem like it's good practice. In other words, there are people here who will want you to learn how to do things properly (myself, AlphaMare, Mike over there, Wired, Harmonic, and about 10 others I omitted for space's sake). There are a lot of human resources on this board you can tap into.

We will help you...we have to now!
    debbie likes this.

Member #
    Thank you very much for your input. After being with ICS for a short time I don't feel very confident in their teachings, but I will get what I can from them since they have my money. I am so greatful for your offer with answering my questions and I know I will have plenty. I decided to learn web design when I got injured at work and found out I will be on light duties for the rest of my career. At work the only thing I am qualified to do is file and I can't do that forever then I figured if I learn web design I could possibly transfer to the IT deptment. I think I became hooked quite early on, everything about web design I find intriguing and I want to learn. So again thank you and I look forward to future conversations.

Debbie

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem! And that's probably the best approach...get what you can and prepare to relearn what you have to.

Apparently the template they used for the ICS school has been used elsewhere (this site shows up every so often in the Google ads on the top right corner...just found it.) That's pretty funny to me, but I'm weird that way.

Remove Ads