Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Umm, hello. I am relatively new to web design, but I am also quite eager to learn the ins and outs of this business (hence my reason for signing up). I look forward to trading ideas and secrets on how our web sites can be more effective. Since becoming interested in this specific profession, and the creative process in general, my appreciation for the artistic expressions of others has grown tremendously. I can now better appreciate the fact that what looks "simple" on paper or the monitor may have very well taken days (or weeks) to visualize, conceptualize and ultimately bring to life via the vast array of constantly evolving technologies that are available today. Additionally, I have observed that there is usually a fine line between one's artistic expression and their personal ego, coupled with the fact that a relatively thick skin is a prerequisite for excelling in the creative field, which includes web design. Therefore, I look forward to actively participating on this forum, as well as to being the recipient of "tough love" when it will serve to enhance my skills as a web designer and web page author (which is my ultimate goal).

Thanks for having me onboard.

Much love to everyone!

Joe2011

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I dig your intro. More importantly, I dig the fact that it appears that you actually took the time to write it for this board and didn't cross-post it everywhere under the sun.

Now I'm going to smack you with a 2x4 for tough love reasons. That, and because I just felt like smacking someone with a 2x4. Nothing personal. It's tough love! *WHACK*
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Welcome aboard,

Your doing better than most, you got you a GAME dig on the first post!
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm lovin' this thread already!

Can't wait to see what you bring to the conversations!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I reckon that there are knowledgeable people in this forum, so I am hoping that you would help me to better resolve, and put into perspective, an issue that has been on my mind. This is by no way intended to be a plug for any particular product or company, but I love Dreamweaver. It is actually my favorite HTML editor. Granted it is a very time consuming application to learn, much more to master.

Anyways, there has been a lot of buzz about Content Management Systems and I have done a bit of research myself on the subject. The CMS that I have been investigating is pretty impressive in that it (like the others, based on what I have been hearing) automatically generates all of the code for a person's site to be dynamic among other functionalities.
    It automatically transforms your raw data into web pages via various templates.
    Some persons seem to swear by their CMS.

My issue is what does that mean for hand coding and for programs like Dreamweaver? Does this mean that my beloved DW will eventually be less relevant? Being my favorite app, I still spend a considerable amount of time trying to master DW - should I focus more on mastering one of the leading CMS's instead? DW vs CMS's - which is the way of the future for the web?

Thanks for any feedback that can help me put things into perspective.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Long question, but in my eyes a simple answer.

UPFRONT BIAS STATED: I have to disagree with you on DW. I hate it. Absolutely hate it. Now, if you're using the code view, that's one thing...but even then, I'd much rather use the free and infinitely better Visual Web Developer Express from (of all companies) Microsoft. So yeah, can't stand DW. And you ain't gonna not never change my mind on that.

With all of that out of the way, I'll say that the future is what it was 8, 9, 10 years ago. Look at Google Look at Amazon. Look at eBay. Look at any of the major media sites.

Do any of those sites use a CMS? Yeah. They all would have to. But...and this is the big but here...are they standard CMSes (the Joomlas, WordPresses, etc. of the world)? No. And there are some very good reasons for that.

1) Open source = less secure = bigger target for hackers. When you're dealing in the volumes and with the levels of success these companies are into, you can't use open source stuff. You just can't.

2) The customizations required take the products that are out there and render them useless.

So...the future is what it was. Learn to code, code well, add to your code base whenever possible, and continue to build custom applications. It's all pretty doable.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks Game. I appreciate the response

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're welcome. I will never, ever have a problem answering an intelligent question from someone who tries to pay it forward if/when I can.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    WDF Members,

I am presently developing a static website for a customer. The website will include a form for feedback. This won't be a blog type thing, as the comments will only be viewed by agency staff. Barring the fact that I do not know how to program the form , everything is under control.

Somebody told me that it has to do with PHP (which I am still learning).

Any suggestions/help with what can be done to make the form work properly once the website goes live?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    There's a great free resource at http://www.web4future.com/easiest-form2mail.htm

I have used this form with great success - the form replies come to you by e-mail, but your e-mail address is not put on the website so the spambots don't find it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads