Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Howdy.

You could consider me new to web design. I did some small basic stuff a few years ago, which is a long time in this world obviously. I really want to learn everything so I can start a very small local web design business.

Couple of questions: Are there any books you could recommend that could teach me things like HTML5, Javascript, and PHP & MySQL? And what would most of you charge for say a simple one page design hosted on your server? What do you include with your service?
    Oh, and who would you recommend for hosting? I've considered GoDaddy and HostMonster. GoDaddy is cheaper for one year so I'm leaning toward that. Anyone have any imput as far as customer service being worth more money or better features that I should consider? I don't need anything 'fancy' as of yet.

Thank you.

EDIT: So mostly in reply to my second post here: I just read a pinned thread in the HTML & CSS subforum that pretty much answered a lot of questions for me. I think I know what books I want and now I can practice using CSS for layout instead of tables. (wow don't I feel like an idiot w/ my tables!) The CSS layout looks amazing and I can't wait to try it.
    With that said - I suppose I should just comb these forums more for similar info on javascript and php. I always post on forums sooner than I should and need to look a little closer and longer before I ask so many questions.
    I'd still be interested in my original hosting question: Is the 20 dollars more I'd be paying on HostMonster worth it?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    ok, I'd like to add a question.

How would you set up a page without tables? How can you get backgrounds and navagation bars to align correctly and make all your pieces fit? Where would I find that answer? Is that all CSS? Where's the best place to learn all about that?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As far as your hosting question goes, between option A) (GoDaddy) and option B) (HostMonster) I'm going to go with option C) Sectorlink (www.sectorlink.com). They don't have the stupid daily email cap that GoDaddy has (only 1000 sends per day) and I have no experience with HostMonster. I'd rather deal with what I know works and is reliable.

As far as the rest of your questions go, it looks like you've already resolved those.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

How would you set up a page without tables? How can you get backgrounds and navagation bars to align correctly and make all your pieces fit? Where would I find that answer? Is that all CSS? Where's the best place to learn all about that?
    Yes, it's CSS.

Well, I'm glad you're finding the things you need here. For CSS, it's best to always consider web standards, so I'd learn CSS from http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss . And you can also search through their main site (www.w3.org).

Hope this helps you, buddy.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 216677
    Howdy.

You could consider me new to web design. I did some small basic stuff a few years ago, which is a long time in this world obviously. I really want to learn everything so I can start a very small local web design business.

Oh, and who would you recommend for hosting? I've considered GoDaddy and HostMonster. GoDaddy is cheaper for one year so I'm leaning toward that. Anyone have any imput as far as customer service being worth more money or better features that I should consider? I don't need anything 'fancy' as of yet.
    I've been with Hostmonster for years now, and I recommend them. I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes to speak with tech support, and they do not outsource it. Right now they're running $1 a month more than GoDaddy, but for that you get 100 databases (as opposed to the 10 at Godaddy), unlimited addon and subdomains, unlimited e-mails ( well, practically nothing is unlimited, but I've never hit their limit), choice of Linux or Windows servers - I just like the reliability;I've never had a problem.
    I am not an affiliate, but I do send my clients to them when I can. I have one clienet on GoDaddy and I have found it much more complicated - but that may just be due to the fact that I am so familiar with HostMonster.
    Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I really think the hosting choice many times comes down to what you are comfortable with, and you always are gonna recommend what you know. I don't think I have ever recommended anything to anyone that I had not tried myself.

For my clients that are hands on, I recommend godaddy servers or my reseller account as I can walk them through setups of pretty much anything over the phone ( if necessary ) from memory.

Sure, there may be others that may offer a little more for a little more money, but they usually only offer those things the the vast majority aren't going to use anyway. as for godaddys smtp caps, I agree it's a pain, but I created a workaround for clients years ago for those that ate affected by it.

Godaddy, Hostmonster, Sectorlink are all good hosting providers, but they have 2 things in common. 1 to turn a profit, and 2. They compete in an industry that is filled with many differing levels experience, from absolute beginners to people that have tried several other hosting companies, to those that run their own servers but need something for general stuff.

The fact that these 3 come up often in the forums is a testament that their is no one hosting provider that offers everything for everybody, and just the fact that they are competing is keeping the prices low for everyone.

In this case, we all win.

Remove Ads