Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: newbie

Member #
    Hi. retired. Started learning Dreamweaver a year ago or so. I started a little business with my sister to do web design. I understand that it's a very competitive business to be in, and probably not a lot of money in it, unless you can offer something unique. But I enjoy learning it all and doing some coding. It's fun. I have been 'doing computers' for a living forover 40 years. It's just part of who I am.

We recently landed our first paying gig. And I just finished up a 'mock' home page to show client to see if it is something he would like. BUT - I haven't a clue which is a good way to send the files. It's not something we're doing in person. I sent the folder with all the html, css, image files over to my sister via email. She could not execute the index.html file. She said all she could see was code. Before I packaged everything up to send the email, I made sure I stripped off all my computer's path information. For instance, it was created from within a folder on my desktop. So, the folder was preceded with C:\users\sully\desktop\clientfolder. What I actually sent was C:\clientfolder.

Anyway - question is - what is the best way to send all of these files (in a single folder) to a client - fast. I also figure it should all be 'zipped' (if emailed) to conserve space & time. And I want to be able to tell client just to double click a file (index.htm, presumably), and see his/her webpage. This will all happen before publishing. Thank you! -Sully

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    ACK! Don't send the client any code that hasn't been paid for!

Take a screenshot of the pages on your computer and send that to the client
    OR
    Get yourself a domain name and some inexpensive hosting - less than $100 investment.
    Create a folder on your hosting called dev or development or whatever, and upload the files so you have a working prototype of the site. Send the client the URL so they can check it out. Again - retain control of the code.

When I started out I was very naive and did a similar thing, and never saw the client again. I saw my code again, though - implemented on their website several weeks later.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads