Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been learning how to webdesign on my own now for awhile, I guess you can say I'm a newbie at it...My last project was a site which I designed and wrote the code myself instead of using one of those webdesign programs and it turned out pretty good...
    I have a question to ask...when searching this particular site using Google (just as an example) another site shows up in the search which bad mouths the searched site...I was told that I could put some code in my markup that would prevent that site from showing in the search results but I can't seem to find any information...Is this true that it can be done and what does the code look like..any help would be appreciated....

Dave

Member #
    Liked
    818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDave, post: 228593
    ...when searching this particular site using Google (just as an example) another site shows up in the search which bad mouths the searched site...I was told that I could put some code in my markup that would prevent that site from showing in the search results but I can't seem to find any information...Is this true that it can be done and what does the code look like..any help would be appreciated....
    Dave
    Welcome to the forums - I hope you'll like it here.

That said, as regards your question - if you could be more specific - is it this particular site (WebDesignForums) that you are talking about searching? Or is it another site?

The more detail you can give, preferably with examples, the easier for us to answer your question.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

M.A. Bell

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site

info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Hello again thanks for responding....I'll be a little more specific, the site I built was for a local law office, when you search this law office say in (google as an example) in the search results there is a listing with the same name as the lawyers, but the site is meant to bad mouth the lawyer..I'm looking for a way to prevent that search result from showing when someone searches the lawyers website...I was told that this was possible...what are your thoughts...

Dave

Member #
    Liked
    818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDave, post: 228603
    Hello again thanks for responding....I'll be a little more specific, the site I built was for a local law office, when you search this law office say in (google as an example) in the search results there is a listing with the same name as the lawyers, but the site is meant to bad mouth the lawyer..I'm looking for a way to prevent that search result from showing when someone searches the lawyers website...I was told that this was possible...what are your thoughts...

Dave
    Once something is indexed it's pretty hard to get rid of it, especially since you don't control the other site and their content. The best you can do is hope to push it down and off the first page of results, and that's going to take hard work, time, and a fairly broad range of strategies to create online content, both on the Lawyer's own site and elsewhere, that will push the negative crap down in the search, to where it's off the first page.
    There's a pretty good article here:
    http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007...anagement.html
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

M.A. Bell

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site

info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    That's is what I kind of figured...you just pretty much validated my thoughts on that and I greatly appreciate your help...you have a great site and I hope to use it more often when needed...thanks again for your responses....

Dave