Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am thinking of going into either web development or web design. I know the small differences but what I really want to know is which one makes more money? If I am going to choose one of these as a career path, I want to make the best choice I can.

web design new york

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    There's no limit to the pay in any job. Do what you like and/or are good at and you'll be fine. On the opposite side if you suck at it (and never improve), you'll never make a lot.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks For reply...what do you think? easy to learn? between web design and web development.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Completely depends on what type of person you are. Start here, see how you like it: http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0 (doesn't work in IE8 for me, use Chrome).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As with just about anything, there are overlaps in both. Is one easier to learn than the other ? Depends completely on you. I know some really talented designers that can output some really great work, but don't have a clue on how to make it work, or how to best tie in their design with a DB. Ask them to create a functional site, and you just get a deer in the headlights look from them.

On the other hand I know developers that can make a server do pretty much anything you want, but their work is not so pretty. Most cant draw a stick figure without a ruler. Forget about combining colors.

On rare occasions I run into someone that can do but equally well, but just like everything else, sometimes it's really good, sometimes not.

I see design people as the ones who create the visual parts and understand how people interact with their designs. I see developers as the one who can take a design, or create a basic framework, and make all the functions work. They know and understand how servers and connections happen, so when they build out the site they do it very efficiently.

Find what you like to do best, learn as much as you can, ( if you don't like constant learning none of this may be for you ), the only successful people I know that do this kind of work are people that really enjoy what they are doing.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The difference is +5 letters on your title.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228792
    I see design people as the ones who create the visual parts and understand how people interact with their designs. I see developers as the one who can take a design, or create a basic framework, and make all the functions work. They know and understand how servers and connections happen, so when they build out the site they do it very efficiently.
    As good developer and good designer, I completely disagree with this concept (although I allow most to continue believing it, because it only helps me to do so). The sad part is that the concept is so pervasive in the community, most people accept it as true without even thinking about it. Good web design has very little to do with creativity. Good web development (programming), in fact, is more of an art than web design, in my opinion.

Allow me to defend my position.

Good web design follows a certain set of predefined scientific concepts and principles, known as usability, legibility, conversion optimization, color coordination, visual aesthetics, et cetera. None of these concepts or principles are "art" in the traditional sense, with the possible exception of visual aesthetics. However, making something pleasing to look at is as much of a science as it is an art. In the realm of the web, color palettes are selected by committee, and usually with scientific principles (market research / conversion optimization) backing up the decision. Understanding sets of design principles and how to combine them to make a cohesive and pretty final product is all a science, and there are 1000's of resources identifying and teaching how to execute the prevailing trends - available to anyone who can read. Layout is predominantly defined by usability, another science. The use of Photoshop to make gradations, shadows, and other effects is a skill, which anyone can learn. The knowledge of how to balance those effects to make a pleasing final product is another skill, learned with time and through reading. Few people establish new trends with each design. The web world is adverse to variety. It's more about user interfacing than about expressive art.

Anyone can learn this stuff. It just takes time and dedication to the craft. It doesn't require much creativity at all. In fact, too much creativity can be an Achilles' heel as a web designer, because it can push one to want to vary from the rules ("what works") too much, resulting in unpredictable and "artsy-fartsy" design work, which although unarguably more creative and more of a piece of art, is not as pleasing to or usable by the masses, and thus has no place in web design.

Good web development, on the other hand, is efficient, elegantly written code. When dealing with complex problems one hasn't encountered before, it requires creativity to devise a solution. Further, doing so with elegant code requires even more creativity, and a sense of aesthetic (as it pertains to the creation of logic). There is a lot more invention and problem solving (creativity) going on in code development than in web design. The design process is about 2% creativity, and 98% execution. The development process is about 10% creativity and 90% execution. This is due to the fact of having to deal with macro- and micro- level problem-solving when dealing with code.

Again, I think anyone can learn to code, too. Many "creative" types do really well in programming, and usually are the ones who invent amazingly cool new things. Most people give up before they find the beauty in it.

If you want a professional design job that requires more creativity, consider Architecture, which has the same macro-to-micro design approach that coding requires, and also gives you the opportunity to be expressive of a concept through your design. Caveat: Architecture suffers from a lot of the pragmatic BS that afflicts web design. If you REALLY want to get creative, you may also consider getting into advertising or entertainment, though those will require the ability to be creative with words, as well.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Thanks for letting me continue to believe this...

As for creativity ? To create and creativity are 2 completely different things and did not mention creativity as any part of my post.

I agree with you on the fact that programming is more of an art form than anything a designer could come up with. I too am more of a developer, but have done enough design work... But I enjoy the challenges involved in making things happen. Yes, all code can be learned, but the person that really enjoys what he's doing is going to be the one that creates the WOW in a design or application.

And yes, I am one that needs a ruler to create a stick figure.

Remove Ads