Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Junior Member TranscendenceKatie's Avatar
    Member #
    Hello,

my name is Katie. I am currently in the process of obtaining my associates in Web Design & Interactive Media. I have dabbled in web design since I was 14 (I'll be 25 next month) mainly to build websites and forums for my rabbit showing hobby to help promote my rabbitry in a large community. The same goes for creating graphics. I am pretty decent with photoshop and a fair few of the Adobe programs. Like many of you, I'm using cs5.5.

I have used various other programs, but prefer to hand code or use dreamweaver. I want to learn as much as I possibly can. I've read a lot of tutorials and I am familiar with a lot of coding, although I want to become more familiar with more server scripting. I am having designers block on my portfolio. I hope to learn from you.

On a more personal note, I am a mom of 2 toddlers (a girl, 1 and a boy, 2) and I love photography, pretty much any kind of animal, sketching, etc. I have a busy life, but it is my life.

I am currently employed at a big greenhouse company that builds greenhouses and grows/sells pretty much any kind of plant imaginable. I was hired to redesign their site, but they will not let me get as creative as I want to. I have pitched other layouts, but they still want to keep the one I built in less than an hour which is so plain. Minimalist is an understatement. They keep me around mainly for their other clerical and geek work. *sigh* But at least I get a paycheck I guess.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nice to see someon wants to learn, I landed one of my first big web gigs many years ago with the company I worked for.

I started on an intranet for this company to get my foot in the door, and it's been a wild rise ever since. I realized a long time ago, it it's not their idea, they ( the business decision makers ) rarely go for it.

So you've learned lesson 1, never give them first draft, and definitely not something done quickly.

Lesson 2, how to get them to think that your idea is their idea... It's not easy, but you have to expand YOUR vision for the site and it's impact on their business.

Do they currently want to expand their market reach ? Do you have competition ? How best could the site benefit the business ? Yes, you will benefit it they choose to updat or expand the site, bu they will too.

Do your research on who they market to, find out if they want to expand their market, see or ask if thy are trying to reach a particular market and having difficulty doing so ? Can the site assist them in reaching into other or new markets ???

Learn how you can make the site work for the business ? Again, research is your friend, if you can show them statistics for how certain keywords can reach bigger and better markets... But you basically have to dump that info in someone else's hands, and explain how you can help them utilize that info. Then let them take credit for bringing the idea to the table of other decision makers.

The biggest roadblock I've run into over the years is sometimes the people making the decisions really have no idea about this "web" thing, so you have to become the voice of authority on these things, not the voice of " tell me what to do and I'll do it ".

Decision makers also look at the bottom line so if you can incorporate a dollar figure of " savings ", by you doing this for them, as opposed to hiring it out " get quotes to back up your numbers ", then they start putting a dollar value of savings they are getting from you doing the work for them.

One of the best compliments " which cemented my job security ", a
    Demo was done on an application I built for managing and tracking request coming in from the web site... The business leaders from our parent company saw it in action and said " wow, you're guy did this ? We paid $100,000 for some third party software that is not even close to this good.

I've moved more into a consulting role these days, but still manage the day to day stuff for several clients, and the occasional network security job. But design and development is where I get the most enjoyment from.

There are a good group of people here, so feel free to ask questions, if they can help they will... Sometimes with a little twist of humor.. Just don't take it personally.

Remove Ads