Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi - I am an artist and designer and full time Mum. I am about to try to design a website to display photos and hopefully attract some sales! I now have a deadline as there is an article about me going into Country Homes and Interiors very soon, hence it may help me if there is a website people can look at. As a novice I have looked at 1&1 which drove me mad and the help line was in America and I found them hard to understand, would you believe! I am thinking now of writing it in iWeb on my Mac and then hosting it on NamesCo - they have a UK helpline. However, from reading up on this a bit I understand that It might not be great at being found because of the meta-tags? All you experts will probably be laughing at me by now!!

Anyway any guidance will be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Hi,

Actually you should probably post general questions in the appropriate forums.

I personally think you should consider Wordpress for your site, they have hundreds of different plugins for different needs and usages, and from my limited experience they are pretty easy to setup and customize. ( I did 4 in one evening for a client ), had only done one test install prior to that.

Wordpress originally started out as a blogging platform but has evolved into a lot more.

Any decent hosting provider will have a self installer as a free package on their servers. Wordpress help documentation and videos are pretty self-explanatory.

Not sure if you'll get much response on here about the site builder setup ? But you never know.

Member #
    Sorry have just found I can reply to this - it wouldn't let me earlier! What is a plugin? Also what is a self-installer?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    In Wordpress ( they have their own language ) ,

A plugin is like a small specific application that can be added to your Wordpress installation.

They have captcha plugins ( where you have to enter some letters in a form to prove you are human ), the have photo album plugins, slideshow plugins, etc. most come with some kind of installer built it.

Once you have Wordpress setup, logged into as admin, there is a section where you can search for, install and setup many plugins, without ever leaving the program or having to know anything about servers, code, etc. the installers do everything, you just read the instructions and follow them.

Does your current hosting provider offer Wordpress installs ?

Member #
    I don't have a host provider yet. I am trying to work out which is the best way to go! But I have to start tomorrow really. From what I've read, SEO is important to get good rankings. How does Wordpress compare with Squarespace ?

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    WordPress is OK for SEO... if you want more keyword optimization and such there are a ton of WordPress plugins for that that will help you customize different aspects of the site...

I would recommend HostGator.com web hosting, they have a QuickInstall in their cPanel so you can install WordPress in one click... all you have to do is make sure you put it in the root directory (when you install it using QuickInstall just leave the thing blank where it asks you which directory you want it in... and HostGator has really helpful live chat support, you don't even have to call them, they will walk you through most anything!
    I've even been able to ask them web-design/coding questions and they can even help you with that (sometimes, not always), so if you're having trouble with something and you think it's hosting-related issue just contact them and they'll either give you an answer or at least tell you where to find one...

No I don't work for them, I just like them.
    Claire BM likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not a HostGator fan. Too many affiliate marketing shills and my father-in-law had issues with them. Not a WordPress fan either, but it will get you up quickly.

As far as SEO is concerned, your bigger issue will be capitalizing on the offline traffic the article will receive, so you're better off focusing as much as possible on just finding a host and putting something up that looks good and will convert. The SEO in your specific case can be worked in afterward (normally I never say this, but ana industry-specific publication mention can lead to a traffic spike in the short term). That isn't to say don't keep it in mind...just to say don't keep it in mind yet.

I don't have a UK-specific hosting recommendation myself, although I've had similar issues with 1and1 as a host and a domain registrar (they're not too dialed in over there.)
    Claire BM likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 229909
    I'm not a HostGator fan. Too many affiliate marketing shills and my father-in-law had issues with them. Not a WordPress fan either, but it will get you up quickly.

As far as SEO is concerned, your bigger issue will be capitalizing on the offline traffic the article will receive, so you're better off focusing as much as possible on just finding a host and putting something up that looks good and will convert. The SEO in your specific case can be worked in afterward (normally I never say this, but ana industry-specific publication mention can lead to a traffic spike in the short term). That isn't to say don't keep it in mind...just to say don't keep it in mind yet.

I don't have a UK-specific hosting recommendation myself, although I've had similar issues with 1and1 as a host and a domain registrar (they're not too dialed in over there.)
    I'd be curious to know why you don't like HostGator? If they have issues I need to know because I recommend them a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Besides the affiliate marketing shills (I know you're not one of them, but they're all over forums), they locked my father-in-law out of his hosting account and after two hours of pressure, still wouldn't let him back into it. We ended up having to switch hosts to solve the problem.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads