Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: dwg to?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • help

0 0%
  • help

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: dwg to ?

Member #
    As you can tell from this question I am very new to website design............
    I use auto cad, my drawings I want to publish on the web (they are surface pattern designs, 2d some line some colour, some many lines many colours..10+
    ok so I should've learnt illustrator..............to lose as little as possible detail wise and at the same time have a small file size as possible \( thumbnails and main image being on screen 10x8 inches) does anyone have an opinion or knowledge as to what conversion to use i.e dwg to pdf,png, jpeg.......Ive tested pdf converted from dwg files and seem very large but the detail is spot on...png does not seem to be available to all users of the internet.......any help would be gratefully received............mikeops:

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Are you trying to use your AutoCAD files as the page, for download or just for a few of the graphics? PNG is best for most graphics that aren't photos. Pretty much every browser supports it. If you're just trying to put up your files for download, go with PDF.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hi...Ronald thankyou for your thoughts.....my website will only let viewwers look for now and not download any content so you think the png format will offer the quality of image....,thamkyou for replying,......have a good weekend........mike ....wales uk

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    When you convert directly to PDF from autocad, it creates a PDF from the working file ( the same size )... Its basically a working file covered to general use and distribution.

I believe ( if I read correctly a while back ) , all browsers except for a few of the older browsers have PNG support now, but you have to consider your target market... If you expect that any of them are possibly going to be using an older browser, jpg is supported in all browsers back to the original Netscape.

That all being said, you should probably not export directly to a file for use...

Export to whatever format... Then re-size to a decent size... Once you have a copy of that ( jpg you can also adjust the file quality ), typically anything down to 70% is good to reduce file size without pixelating the image... Making the file size about half of the original export.

Once you have the fullsize version... You can just resize from that one to make your thumbnail...

Exporting directly from autocad to web images will generate high quality images, but again, jpg files at over 70% quality, just increase the size with no visible difference for most people. Now if you were selling your drawings... You may want to use the higher quality previews...

Remove Ads