Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: nogateway99

Member #
    Electrical/ECAD Engineer at multi-national company.

Wonder how many feel like I do-- I cant stand to look at my company
    MICROSOFT Sharepoint pages! I think they are awful and I dont see examples of
    THAT kind of web-sites when I am browsing the web..
    What should we be using instead - if anyone has suggestions?

Thanks..

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Very few corporate types here... And sharepoint is mainly used in corporate environments.

But sharepoint has its purposes... It makes "collaboration" of files and information between people and groups with minimal "training" of the people that would be using it.

Here's the thing though... If you do run across a sharepoint site on the Internet, it's going to be stripped of most of its functionality ( that makes it useful in the enterprise ), and so heavily customized "visually", that most people won't even know its a sharepoint site...

Kinda like some WP ( Wordpress) sites... Some you can tell they are worpress right from the front page... Others you have to dig into the source to find indications that it's actually a wordpress site.

As to what you should be using ? It all depends on what you want to use it for...

I've created ( from scratch ), several custom CMS ( content management systems ), for some corporate clients that didn't like the sharepoint system. But they wanted only a couple of people that could access and edit the contents...

Another client want "everyone" to have access to certain things... With 30 -40 people having access to different sections... And completely "secure" from the corporate networks.. ( meaning even domain admins to not even be able to view it )...

I setup sections and pages on a network "shared drive"... Used AD access control for security of viewing and editing )... And everyone accesses as a "local file" instead of running it through a web server.

I trained editors to use "Netscape composer"... And most recently "komposer", to edit pages... This is the companies "internal communications " system... Since the local IT ADMIN types have desktop access to the AD and local file server, they have control over the entire system.. While keeping the parent company "domain admins", away from the information...

There are numerous ways to handle most of this stuff... Just gotta figure out the best way for the environment..

Remove Ads