Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Good Morning Everyone...

I am new to the site and hoping to get some help and feedback when I run into stumbling blocks in building my website. I am not to terribly savvy at this but have been teaching myself through the years. I currently use FrontPage, I know its old but for me its most understandable.

The issue I am having right now is, I have put an enormous amount of money and time into a site that is a work in progress, its just beginning I have a long way to go. Its a gift site that involves lots of text and pictures. I have much of the site figured out some areas I am still questioning,but my greatest concern right now is getting seen on the net. I have been keeping track and there are days I only get 2-5 hits a day. The site has been live since around February of this year. I know it takes time but I am sure there is more I can do to drive folks to the site.

My other reason why I am coming to the forum is because I have been taken by 2 web designers that have taken a considerably amount of money from me and never to be heard from again. Its frustrating to find someone to trust.

I know some of this can be done by the key words, I have added and changed them and it does not seem to make a difference. I was doing some searching on the internet and I have found sites that say optimize your site for $$$ a month. Then I was told by others don't ever pay for this you can do it yourself, well I don't know if by adding just the description and key words I am doing the right thing? How do it get search engines working for my site.

Can anyone give some advise? I am sorry for the ignorance, I am just a new student at this and learning as I go along.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Have a great day.

Hannah

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's the most important thing you need to remember...marketing a website is the same in concept as marketing any other business. So the things you need to do to make your business stand out are the ones you'd have to do to make your website stand out.

1) Have a unique selling proposition (and content). You say yours is a gift site. That's going to be a particularly tricky industry, since there are a bunch of "gift-style" sites. The Chinese in particular seem to have a lock on little knick-knacks that sell for $5.00 or less. What makes your website different? What makes your gifts different? What's unique about them? If you don't have a unique selling proposition, you might as well forget about all the rest of it.

2) Come up with a plan over the course of time that can't easily be replicated to market your goods and services. If you do it well enough, people will inevitably try to rip off your plan and possibly come away with fractured fairytale parts of it...but they'll never get the whole thing. It happens to anyone that has experienced any success online (my personal favorite are the people who copy/paste other people's text as if that's the only thing they do to be successful).

This, however, is going to depend on exactly what types of gifts you're selling, your target market, etc.

3) As far as finding keywords and phrases to use for your site, you generally can do a lot of it yourself. It's as much about copywriting as it is about anything else. The key to keywords, at least in the early stages, is to find non-competitive keywords that generate a lot of searches. Here's a totally free tool that will help you in this regard. It's used for Google Adwords (the ads that appear on the top and side of Google search and on sites like this one), but it can be used for SEO purposes as well. Keywords and phrases, however, are only a part of it. Keep a big-picture approach in mind as far as marketing is concerned.

4) If you get a generic answer to this question (besides this one, although I've tried to tailor it to what you're saying as much as I can), it's probably bad advice. Things like "submit to forums, do blog postings, article submission, blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda"...crap advice. You'll know it's crap advice because it won't even mention your site (not that we've seen it yet) and it'll be repeated ad nauseam to several other people.

5) FrontPage may not be helping you in this regard either. It has a tendency to generate very bloated code, and site load time is a factor.

Hopefully that gets you a little further on your way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads