Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi gang, I'm here to learn what I need to know that I don't know (which is a lot more than I wish it was)

I have questions re: my site loads WAY too slow (and I'm not sure what to do about it)
    I use WP thesis exclusively, I can get any wp domain to rank where ever I want it to.. but

my blogs lack the spit n polish of responsive web design
    I'm graphics deficient
    I'm buying Adobe Illustrator and will need help with it
    I know my clients will pay for "web design" but aren't as eager to pay for SEO (even though the SEO will make the website turn a profit and design will not)

There is a WHOLE LOT i don't know, that I'm looking to learn

hmm, a little bio about me:

I run Frederick Web Promotions and specifically I concentrate on regional search engine marketing
    (google that) I also cater specifically for Google Places Ranking (google that too) and my forte is Local Google Advertising (you guessed it, google that as well)

I am the apex predator in my specialty but my design skills? well they suck
    which is why I'm here

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    even though the SEO will make the website turn a profit and design will not
    Search engines may bring people to a site, but a good design keeps them there.

In otherwords, a good SEO plan may bring in a ton more POTENTIAL clients, but if the website sucks, they'll leave.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A few things:

1) At least you were honest about your design skills. I'm not the best designer either (mostly because I'm a developer).

2) If you're going to claim you're the apex predator in anything to do with the SEO industry, you'd damn well better be prepared to have every aspect of what you're doing ripped apart. It's an industry driven by unverifiable and unsubstantiated ego claims and people who think they're invincible while their business models are houses of cards. Your grammar skills indicate that you're not a particularly strong copywriter, which relates to the content (is KING) aspect of SEO. That's enough by itself to indicate that you really don't know what you're talking about. You might understand some of the basics and the things that are spit out ad nauseam on Warrior Forums and vested-interest blogs such as Search Engine Land, but that doesn't mean you know SEO. The fact that you said you can't get clients to pay for SEO as easily as design indicates that you don't know much about your industry; if you did, you'd have answers prepared to overcome most of the common objections ("it's too much money", "it's just building links", "I hired an SEO in the past and they got me penalized", "I'm not hiring an SEO because I got an email from Google Webmaster Tools about my SEO practices", etc.)

There are only two apex predators in the SEO field: Doug Heil and Mr. Mishnoon al-Sahit. The former works with some pretty big companies (e.g. one whose name starts with S and rhymes with the name of the African dictator flavor of the month), and the latter is simply the greatest SEO genius that ever lived.

What I would suggest you do is to partner with a design firm in the short run. You'll probably pick up a lot more from the designers (if you can find ones that aren't on an ego trip themselves), and if you can combine the things they can teach you with the things you can pick up on your own, you'll get where you want to go a lot faster. A suitable design firm will also be able to help you with the marketing as well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As for your site loading to slowly...

There are literally hundreds of reasons why... And sometimes a designer or developer won't have a clue.. Because its a hosting ... Or server issue...

I always recommend to potential clients, Especially using WP... To use anything but a shared environment for their site... On a hosting provider that actually has more than a couple of T1s for thier connection...

There are literally thousands of designers that are really creative... Can do just abouth anything design-wise... And think that all web hosting providers are equal... They are not. I would have to guess tht 90% of all SLOW WP sites are due solely to crap host.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    yeah you need good design for good on page metrics for seo, otherwise you will always be missing a part of the puzzel.
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Remove Ads