Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Are there any spcifications on the use of fonts on web design?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nope,

But you gotta understand how this works.

If you specify font that are commons to most users, then those fonts will display properly on a visitors machine when they view your web page. If you specify fonts that are not, users won't see them.

Example: wingdings is a windows font, if you just specify the wingding font, any visitors using a Mac or Linux PC are going to see jibberish as their browser cant display them.

There are fonts and font sets that can be specified and are downloaded to a users pc so they all look the same, but that has got to be setup properly, and if the visitors browser is restricted from downloading fonts, the same thing happens.

If you don't want to have these issues, use "standard" font sets or common fonts... Like sans-serif , or serif... They may not load exactly the same, but will be very close.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The other thing that you'll need to consider is how the font looks both with and without anti-aliasing. Theoretically, you can use any font you want provided you have a legitimate license to do so (Internet Explorer in particular has an eerily accurate way of being able to detect non-licensed fonts) and you can run it through www.fontsquirrel.com ... but that doesn't mean that you should use it.

For example, Chrome doesn't allow for any anti-aliasing and in setups where the users don't either (e.g. a user accessing a computer remotely via RDP), they won't see an anti-aliased font. They might, depending on the nature of the font, see a jagged and crusty-looking font. My rule is to generally stick with standard fonts, and then add in a font here and there if I can make it work both with and without anti-aliasing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads