Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Do you code by hand or use a program?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • By hand

3 100.00%
  • Program

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Member #
    I know why I am. I've always been into computers and am actually studying computer science. However,
    computer science is a sea of knowledge in which I will have to explore in order to find my true calling.
    I've decided to try my hand at web design. Obviously emerging myself in the web design community is
    well worth my time. I look forward to many discussions and the growth we will experience together!

For my first question, how many of you out there use programs for your design and why?
    Are there benefits to coding by hand? I've dabbled in dreamweaver but there are many things I don't like about it
    and I feel as if it's too... limiting.

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance.

-david

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. (Dr*amw*av*r)
    Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for life (hand coding)

There are lots of designers...but very few legitimate code warriors. Those who understand the quirks, the twists, the various things that need to go into development to make a site really work beyond the pretty pictures.

From a purely design point of view (and I'm a code warrior), I use Photoshop and either slice the image (no HTML code, just the images) or use sprites to get the images. I then use a program called Visual Web Developer (it's not what you think!) to code my stuff, along with several precompiled libraries and code snippets that I've built over the years.
    Fireproofgfx and Ronald Roe like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    are you a one man band?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm a one man BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, babayyyyyyyyyy!!! I'm also the Wendy's girl (bonus points to anyone who has any idea whatsoever what I'm talking about).

Seriously, yes, I fly solo for the most part. I'm occasionally involved in projects where I'm part of a team, but for the most part I work by myself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    DW is Limiting if you only use "design view", most all WYSIWYG editors are limiting because they can only do what the developers intended them to do.

I've been Using DW for many years, flipping back and forth between design view and code view for exactly that reason.. good thing DW doesn't re-write code it doesn't understand ( like some editors ).

BUT

about 6-7 years ago, I came across CSS and XTHML and although DW handles it fine, what they built into it was limiting...

I've pretty much only used "Code View" once I realized that... I can say with authority .. Notepad++ and or MetaPad can do exactly what DW in code view can do, but DW has some things that I've been using for years like "libraries of my code snippets", ability to manage multiple projects and each has it's own FTP connections ( multiple FTP connections for Test Servers and Production servers), so I tend to keep using it mainly from a project management standpoint.

I would NEVER recommend anyone starting out, buy or use DW... but once they have a good grasp on Hand Coding, it can be an asset ( as long as you stay away from the built in code generators ).

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm learning to like DW but I think it lacks many features for hand coding. The best program I have used is NetBeans for hand coding. I like how it tracks variables and functions and displays CSS selectors in the navigator. It has all the functions I love about Notepad++ with some extra goodies for staying organized.

I don't think this really answers the question of why I am here but that doesn't seem to be the topic of discussion on this thread.
    Freelance Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 244755
    I'm a one man BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, babayyyyyyyyyy!!! I'm also the Wendy's girl (bonus points to anyone who has any idea whatsoever what I'm talking about).
    Now I will always be picturing you with red pigtails and freckles... scary...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads