Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi people.
    I joined this site as i am looking for a web designer to help build my new social networking site.
    I know it's not a job site and that posting threads like this will get on a lot of peoples nerves but i really am on the edge of something amazing.
    I already have people on board and all work will be commission based. I mean once it's up and running then i can pay you for your hard work and provide a permanent job for you.
    I have a huge interest in science and science fiction and the site will be based around this.
    The site will provide a means to build spaceships.
    Can't say much more than that on here.
    It really is a new idea and i am desperate for a designer. The site needs to be built from scratch. I have all the ideas. My graphic designer has all the art work and you will provide the technical know how.
    well,
    Hi everyone.
    Hopefully one of you will be interested.

May the force be with us all.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Joey,

If you want, I could move your thread to the marketplace since that's where people are traditionally hired. However, I'm going to tell you upfront what maybe a half-dozen other people have the knowledge, the experience, and the lack of tact required to tell you...you're probably not going to find what you want.

First off, you want a web developer, not a designer. Don't blame you for thinking that...it's the default term. That's not on you. But a developer is the programmer. That's what you want.

Second, you're going to pay once the site is up and you use the term "commission based". I'm not sure if you meant it the way it came out, but usually commission based means the developer gets X percent of the revenues. If that's the case, then most experienced developers will walk away from you because they can take on gigs where they can get paid for the work they do on time all the time. I, for example, get paid every month from several clients.

Now, if you meant, "build the site and I'll pay the price we work out, that's a different story and you'll be more likely to find what you want, since the developer can set a price and you and him/her can work something out. As a suggestion, though, you might want to set up milestone-based payments with the developer (developer completes 1/3 of the site, gets paid 1/3, etc.)

However, the big problem that you're going to have to overcome, and understand when I say this that I'm speaking for several others here, is your approach. You're an idea guy. You've got an idea. It's the next great idea. You've given a few details, but not enough to really tell anyone what your site idea's all about.

The problem? There are about a million people before you (several of whom have posted in the Marketplace section) and either they didn't get what they wanted or the prospective hire didn't get what (s)he wanted. There's usually some fatal flaw involved in the idea itself to cause this. It can follow a current fad (e.g. social networking...the bubble's about 6-12 months away from bursting on it), the idea guy hasn't thought it through all the way or doesn't have a plan, the idea guy didn't budget correctly for it, the idea guy didn't really have a marketing plan, the idea guy changes his/her mind about a dozen times because "I'm being creative and this is part of the process", etc. The net result in about 99% of cases is that the idea guy doesn't get the site built that he wants, the developer doesn't get paid what he wants, and there's a lot of animosity. In your particular case, you're talking about sci-fi and spaceships...you're not even the first guy on here today that wants to hire someone to work on a site based on sci-fi (which is really odd, but reality).

In order to overcome this, you're going to need 1) a plan, 2) an idea of costs, 3) the ability to work with a developer to get what you want in the end and 4) possibly the ability to roll your site idea in stages.

Just so you know, I wish you well. I'm just telling you the perception from the other side.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads