Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi my name is Gary I did web design a couple years ago HTML and CSS was the standard, whats the deal with HTML 5 is that the standard now? Is it compatible with all browsers? I had took a break from web design and was learning 3ds max, zbrush, and UDK, My dilemma is this I'm not good enough to do 3d as a career for the time being I want to get back into web design as a full time job because my current job is somewhat non creative. I just upgraded to CS6 and now I need to get some client work to make the money back. I was also wondering what a good site to use for templates is? I have an interview in a week and need to make some demo sites to show my skills. I appreciate any feedback I can get. I like to help others so maybe if someone needs some flash or 3d work done let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I guess it really Ll depends on what type of job you're interviewing for as to what you should be doing.

Ideally, you didn't apply for a job you can't already do. I hate it when I post for a postition all the requirements I'm looking for, I get tons of resumes and select interviews based on experience and skills stated. Then they come to the interview and can't actually demonstrate what they said they can do.

I normally, very politely, end the interview immediately, and walk them to the door.

What the standards TODAY should be irrelevant to to you if you don't know them. Sounds to me like you're trying to build your vocabulary of buzzwords to impress durning the interview, which doesn't work with me either... Because I ask them to demonstrate skills with notepad how their troubleshooting skills are.

Seriously, if you got the interview based on false statements, then is suggest canceling it ( especially if you can't really do what you said you can do ), take the time to learn it, them hopefully, you might have a chance if the position comes open again. I have a list of over 500 people in my local area that will never get another interview ( I help clients hire people to maintain their sites for them ), so I get resumes all the time from the same people that tried to BS their way into a different position.

Sorry, if this is not what you want to hear, but personally, I feel that if someone exaggerates their skills to get an interview for a position that clearly requires certain skills, thier integrity is an issue. If my client had an issue with them, how could I know what they told me was the truth.

If I post a "learning" position, I still have a list of requirements, those are usually filled quickly because those that want to get paid to learn are usually more honest about it and eager to he paid to learn.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What WZ said. It sounds like you talked yourself into a corner here, which seems to be the prevailing wind these days, sadly. There are a lot of people, not just in web design, who make themselves sound good and tout themselves as all things to all people, and then they either bury themselves in a corporate machine so deeply their warts will never get discovered or end up in a small business situation where they're found out.

I've been in similar situations to WZ in the distant past, and I was stupid enough to actually hire one of those people back in 2003 (we'll call him Alvin). I didn't hire him because I thought he could do what I wanted right away, but I hired him because I thought I might be able to teach him the skills required to get him to where I needed him to be, since he actually showed a slight bit of potential and the rest of the resumes I had were even worse than his (kind of a "throw a dart, pick someone, hope for the best" situation). Took me about 3 projects, none of which were critical, to realize this guy was all bluster and no backup.

I would have fired Alvin, but he disappeared for six months the day I intended to. Turned out he "moved" out of the province (I live in Toronto);
    moved back;
    threatened me via voicemail, demanding access to a site of his I was hosting for him and that he never so much as paid for the domain name for (I registered it for him through a reseller account);
    hired a sports lawyer to represent him;
    paid me the money he owed me;
    then lost control of the domain anyway.

He ended up working in another company that one of my best friends worked at under the same pretense he tried with me...he was a skilled and talented web designer. Apparently he even lied and put the sites "he built for me" in his resume claiming he built them himself; not only did he not build them himself, but he didn't even do the parts he was given to do. I put in a call to my friend, let him know about the lie, and they went to talk to Alvin. When they went to talk to him, he had a freelance project open on his desktop...turns out he was freelancing on the side on company time. But he had an answer for that...he was "learning web design" and wanted to test out theories on the client sites before implementing them on my friend's company's site. That didn't fly.

The good thing about the Internet is that you can anonymously track someone's progress, and I've done that over the years from time to time. And I've watched Alvin "grow" as an individual since then. He became a "front end developer", then a "community event planner", then left to attempt to join the police force (failed the physical, which says something when you see the condition most Ontario cops are in), then "returned to web design", and now he's a "social media marketer". He's all about "web startups, community engagement, and (insert buzzwords here)."

I've been put in positions to hire people on behalf of my clients several times since then, as I would never hire anyone else to work with me and I've begun taking my career in a very different direction (about 10% of the way there now). Every time I hire someone, they almost inevitably are lacking in some skill or another. Understand that I don't mind this...neither WZ or I would expect everyone to know everything about every aspect of web design, development, and marketing. The problem is that when that skill is lacking, people don't possess the desire to learn or the integrity to admit that they lack the skill.

What we're trying to say is "you're obviously not ready, so don't waste someone else's time or money until you are."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm going to add my 2 cents here. If your interview is in a week, and you're looking to make a portfolio in that time, using templates rather than original work, I'd have to agree with Webz and TheGame. I always try to follow the "underpromise and overdeliver" rule when approaching a new client or a new job, and I have found that it has stood me in very good stead.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to work for a larger design company (I wanted to get a feel for how the business end of it ran, as opposed to what I was doing as a freelancer). I applied at several places, and got accepted at one. The first day I went in to work, I was told by the boss that I had been hired based on one statement in my application. That was: "I have a very rudimentary understanding of PHP, and am looking forward to learning more as I work alongside the developers at (company name)". He said that not one other applicant had claimed anything other than expert skills at everything, and since that was highly unlikely, I had gotten the job based on my admitted lack of ability, rather than any claim of expertise!

I am back working freelance now, and every once in a while I have occasion to hire a programmer to help out on a project. I've had a couple of bad experiences with people who say they can do the job, and then turn out to be incapable. I have a couple of people now who I call on regularly, and one of them started with me as a student - he was very upfront about what he could do - he told me he had no interest or ability in design, but was proficient in javascript and AJAX. He has since gone on to a very successful position with a local company, and is now one of their senior programmers (he still has as little to do with the design aspect as possible).

You say you are currently employed, which, even though you don't particularly find it creative enough, is a bonus, since it gives you a steady income while you learn what you need to. Take the time to catch up with the technology, brush up on your HTML and CSS, and learn some javascript and a server-side language such as PHP or .ASP. There are tons of good tutorials and other resources available online, and forums such as this where there are folks who will help you out if you get stuck. Once you have a portfolio of your own, original work, then you can apply for these kind of positions confidently, and honestly.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I know css and regular html. I just don't know html 5. I was however reading a book on it and practicing. I mean this employer works off of templates with clients. His own site is a template I looked through the code. I can code I am just don't know html 5. I know action script I can make banners do small animations, I can do UI work with flash, and I can code using only notepad. I just haven't been doing it lately but for at least 5-6 years I did it just gave it a break because I couldn't get a job in web design in New York because my sites were not business aimed enough but more on the artsy side. I would say that alot of my clients were musicians, and or djs. I know how to troubleshoot my style sheet and my index.html file I know how to embed my flash files. I know how to add light box using jquery. I know about linked the reset css style sheet because the browser has default values which can throw your code off. I understand testing my site in every browser using something like browsershots. I feel I am ready I still have client sites to show. I have coded in the past professionally for company intranet, worked with a lady who had a home business doing web design, and I did freelance for a while and had a client base. I feel i can handle it. I am refreshing myself watching lynda.com on dreamweaver cs6 and catching up on nettuts and webdesigntuts with good old Jeffrey Way I still have that book as well so I can do it.

My weaknesses are PHP I have a programmer that helps me with that. I can make a .asp form to get information from a user but thats about it for that. Javascript I know a little about but not much. Jquery I know very little about. I don't claim to know everyone there is online resources to help you were your stuck. I also am always learning I study everyday whether its web design or 3d art. I am sorry if I came off as a know it all as it wasn't my intention.

The position I am applying for its not a web developer position. It is listed as a web design position. I use photoshop everyday because I have been doing 3d and have been making logos for clients from time to time and such I know how to use the slice tool to slice my web page although personally I like saving out what I need in a new document and coding the background.
    [SIZE=11px] Internet Hosting - Fulltime position for website design and specialized website construction. [/SIZE]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, at least you're willing to admit that. I'd rather hear from someone that they don't know something and are willing to learn it than deal with someone who claims to know everything and is too insecure to admit otherwise. That's a plus.

If you've got a portfolio already built from the past, use it. If it's not HTML5, that probably won't matter, especially if you're dealing with a "template builder." Most of those guys don't give a damn what doctype you use or how it's coded, as long as it works. If you're dealing with a host, that applies even moreso...make the site work, keep the host's customer happy, and the host continually gets the $5, $10, $15 monthly payment.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks I just got my portfolio together the thing is alot of my old clients didn't pay their bill so it seems I will have to just put their whole site locally on a usb stick and give to the employer, along with logos, and 3d work I did. I think I will learn some php and jquery and html 5. I bought some videos from video2brain.com to get me caught up. I have alot to learn though that's for sure I mean there is always something to learn in life and you can never know enough. I am confident about my interview luckily I have about 3 sites that use html and css, the others are simply html and sliced images with jscript rollovers, and flash. There are a few live ones.. 2 of which was made using a wordpress template, hopefully that will be enough to demonstrate my skills. Thanks to everyone for the feedback I needed it.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I am super excited I got the web designer position. I start Jan 2nd finally out of customer service! My job will be mostly to update clients websites such as doctors, dentists, etc. I sincerely thank everyone for their feedback. I think the reason i got the job was I gave him my portfolio on usb drive of the websites I created and client logos. I asked alot of question about the company wrote down the answers in front of him. I sent him the thank you email.

I mean its working from templates modifying existing code its not that bad..I like to personally build from scratch because then you know where everything is and of you have any errors in your code you can find them alot faster. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Congratulations! Let us know how the job goes. You can learn a lot by seeing other people's code.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks yeah I have been deciphering their code with firefox firebug plugin nothing out of the ordinary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads