Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys, I am new to website building.
    I would like to know how to add a shopping cart to a website (using codes or softwares?) and how does it operate when there are orders being placed for the business owner to check.

Appreciate for any input! Thank you! =)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    not trying to be mean .... but...

would you attempt to build a car without taking some mechanical classes or working with a mechanic to try and understand the "workings" of a car ? probably not.

would you want to wire a house, without learning something about electricity or working with an electrician to understand how things work ? probably not.

Why not build a search engine ? they look much simpler than a shopping cart ? and those guys really seem to make a lot of money.

seriously though.. you should really learn the "basics" and be able to actually create something before moving into this...

I suspect you ( as like many others ), really don't have the slightest idea what you're asking for...

go to a site like http://hotscripts.com , find a shopping cart script... download it.. install it.. read the instructions that come with it...

the answer to your other question is .... each system operates differently and has different requirements and benefits. best answered by using some online carts..

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What he said. This is one of those "quick questions" people ask and that I absolutely despise, because they figure the question itself is simple and thus the answer must be as well. It's not.

Ask yourself this question: how can I build a brick-and-mortar store and how does it operate when there are orders for the business owner to check? The answer's pretty complex, right? Same logic with an online store.
    blue_icon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi Webzarus and TheGAME1264, yes both of you are right that I doesn't have a slightest idea about it. I didn't feel this question is simple, as mentioned, I am new to website building and have yet more to learn. I was just trying to help out my relative who wanted to build a website with shopping cart.
    Thanks a lot for your inputs. Appreciate that! =)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I hear you, and I don't want to knock your intention...that's certainly very honorable. The problem is that the road to Hell was paved with good intentions, and in this case as WZ and I were trying to tell you, it's not just a matter of "stick a script on that says it's a shopping cart and away you go."

Even the "top-end carts" such as Magento are an absolute bugger to customize and take several hours just to get layouts down, never mind product data entry and pricing. Most of them are in the Amazon Mickey Mouse "yeah, we can allow you to set it up really easy but if you want to customize it any way outside of the narrow confines we define for you, you are absolutely screwed."

This is an area of web development that, after over 15 years, really isn't much further along than it was back in the late 90s. The payment processors have improved, but that's about it. So you're pretty much in the wilderness when it comes to this sort of thing if you haven't done it before. I actually built an e-commerce site back in 2000 with no real knowledge of what I was doing (compared to now) and, had the site not had a lead generation system that I also built and that even now is years ahead of others in its industry, would have been an unmitigated disaster. So if you're going to make this sort of plunge, you're going to want to have a plan B for your relative so that the site still makes money regardless.

So here's what I would suggest...learn a server-side programming language such as PHP or ASP.net, and apply it in such a way as to help your relative generate at least interest in his/her products. That will at least give you a bit of background and experience so that then you can tackle the cart, the payment processing end alone of which is a beast by itself.

To give you an idea, here's a short list of things you'll need to know in general (specific knowledge may be required for your relative's industry):

Server-side programming language
    HTML/CSS
    SEO, since chances are your relative is going to want his/her products to be found on search; this includes elements such as consistent navigation, clean code, a user-friendly design, friendly URLs, etc.
    How to read site stats programs
    XML (since most payment processors work with XML requests/responses)
    Legalese (you're going to have to write privacy/refund policies)
    How to install programs such as live chats on your clients' computers
    If your relative gets into any kind of PPC campaigns, how to manage them
    A/B or multivariate testing
    Server management, since certain payment processors require customizations to be done on the server and some even require DLL installation on a Windows server, for example...this isn't common anymore, but it still does exist

Several of these things by themselves can take several months or years to master, and no one ever really does. I've been working on carts for people for over 13 years, and I still learn stuff all the time. Yes, I realize there are egomaniacal twits out there who will tell you they've mastered Skill X or they have an instant $19.95 roadmap to riches eBook for all of this, but just to save you a whole lot of time and money when you encounter it, these people are all completely full of crap.

Again, there may be other things you need to know, and there are probably a couple of things I forgot that WZ can fill in. It's late and my daughter just had a birthday party, so I'm sure I slipped somewhere. But this should be enough to give you an idea of what you're getting into.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads