Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Hello All from Hollyweird

I came here because I was hoping for some direction from the community. I wanted to develop a website that did something fairly simple (a little more on that later). I created a domain and purchased the WebsiteBuilder package from GoDaddy (ALGAEBRAS dot COM). I list the name of my domain because I thought you might get a chuckle about what I found (after buying the domain) doing a google search on that word. Algaebras are what smart mermaids wear. Certainly, not the intention for the site.

The site was intended to be a math site that provided practice problems to help reinforce basic algebra concepts. I have the basic layout designed, and it is up and live using the GoDaddy website software. Unfortunately, it is insufficient for my design needs. I next called GoDaddy and asked what software was provided with their other hosting packages and they said WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. I then went to Amazon and purchased or borrowed from free sources Kindle versions for these three programs, and am just about done reading WordPress Domination-Beginner to Ninja in 7 days.

The reason I have joined this forum is to get some direction on what open source alternatives are available to best suit my needs. What programs and/or languages do I need to learn so I can publish my website.

Initial development I/O issues involve arithmetic problems with terms landing on the petals of a flower (3, 5, 8, 13 petaled flowers) and the operands (*, /, +, -) landing in between the petals. I want to write a simple routine that will automatically generate problems based on the following criteria:

1. Each number on the petals is a single digit integer from 1-9.
    2. Three tests (flowchart level logic already written for these) need to be performed to ensure the answer is a positive integer (e.g., no negative or fractional solutions).
    3. User inputs an answer to the presented problem, and is then 'graded' for correct answer.
    4. User gets a new problem if they answer correctly, otherwise they are prompted to try an easier problem (displays a new picture [or animated cartoon] and the solution worked out).

Currently, the site has four stationary or fixed 'algaebras' problems rather than the envisioned variable problemed site. I wanted to avoid a large database of possible problems, and why the above routine is necessary.

My question is this, of the three, WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal, where should I concentrate my learning efforts . Also, in what language would I be writing the code for the above problem generator (i.e., is this what HTML does, or is it done in the website development program)? Later, I will need to develop a database for the factoring diamond problems which cannot be automatically generated.

Remove Ads