Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Shady Creek Hollow Farms

Hi my name is Beth,
    I am completely new to web design and I have tons of questions and for some I am sure I will be completely stupid but please bare with me as I am learning and know nothing. I can't even figure out how to open a new thread or ask a question..... So with that being said.... HELP!

How do I open a new thread so that I can ask the questions? I am in need of finding out information from the very beginning point of this whole process.

I need to find out things l like, can I create my own online store that I can do the back ground and use my own fonts that I want and create a whole look and feel that I want, not something that is pre decided by one of the web hosting sites?

The reason that I am asking this is because we purchased the domain sites but when I inquired about setting up the online store, I was told by one of the web hosting companies that I would be able to choose my own backgrounds and fonts etc, so I purchased it. Then when I got in there to begin using it, I was told that I had to go with what they had preset and that I could not upload my fonts and customize it the way I wanted it to look.

Do I have to purchase a webdesign program from say Office Max and then use that to create my online store and then find a hosting co that I can then upload that to and use on their sight? I have no clue how all this works. What I am trying to do is create a sight that has an old time feel and fonts that I can sell my products from and have it have a cart, payment options, shipping info etc.

Please HELP I am so green and want so badly to learn. Thank You!
    Last edited by schfarms; Aug 31st, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi best place to start is to find a shopping cart that is not to hard to use.
    The one that my clients seem to like is woocommerce It's a plugin for wordpress.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eirbyte View Post
    Hi best place to start is to find a shopping cart that is not to hard to use.
    The one that my clients seem to like is woocommerce It's a plugin for wordpress.
    I guess I need to start from the beginning. I watched the above video and HTML is way over my head. I want to find something that I can, I guess< plug and play. Is there anything out there that will allow me to pick out things for my website that I want to use rather then being stuck with what the web hosting co has already designed?

Is there a program that I can purchase that will allow me to build an online store from scratch without having to know the HTML code? What is a plugin for Wordpress? Gosh I feel so stupid! I was into computer when they first came out and I had to write CLI etc.... but I never was a programer. I need something that I can massage into what I want.

What other Sits out there are there that will let me do that?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    What you want is kind of available. You have 2 options... Either 100% customizable.. Which requires you to learn alot more than it seems you want to.. Or you can choose a e-commerce platform that you can find a theme that suits your design expectations.

The problem with your question is that you, like you said, know very little to nothing about this topic. You are looking to do something completely difficult to do.. An e-commerce site is no easy task! I myself know html,css,some javascript, and a little php.. And am intimidated by e-commerce sites.

You also ask if theres a program you can buy to "drag and drop" the answer is no.. There is way more to an e-Commerce site than any program could handle. To be honest theres more to building even a basic static site that any program can handle!

Your best bet.. Hire someone to create this for you..

Or lower your expectations and settle for something that was premade

Regretfully sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk during lunch and other breaks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Do you know of a site or sites that look similar to what you want to do?
    If you show them to us then we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    Your best bet.. Hire someone to create this for you..
    I would second that it will save you a lot of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by schfarms View Post
    What is a plugin for Wordpress?
    Plugins are pieces of code you add to wordpress to do things like shopping carts and other cool stuff.

Wordpress is software that is used to build and maintain websites you don't need to know html or any other code.
    If you can use MS word and post on this forum then you can use wordpress.

Sometimes the best way to learn is to just do it and don't worry about it being perfect.

Member #
    You all have given me great feedback! Thank you!

I have started watching a video on creating an ecommerce site using wordpress, Mystile theme & woocommerce plugins and utilizing hostgator. I might just be able to do this.

Now my question is, can I use the fonts that I want to use doing it this way? I am trying to go for an old world look and feel and want to use vintage fonts.

I will try and find a site that is similar to what I am trying to build.

My last question is, since again I am new to this whole process and can't find something I can do, What is the going rate to have someone build a site for me? I have no idea what something like this costs?

Thanks a ton, you all are awesome!!!
    Last edited by schfarms; Aug 31st, 2014 at 08:02 AM.

Member #
    Oh and I do have one more question.... How can I make sure that the webite is accessible from smart phones and tablets and such too. With everyone using these devices now, that should be a must too!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You all have given me great feedback! Thank you!

I have started watching a video on creating an ecommerce site using wordpress, Mystile theme & woocommerce plugins and utilizing hostgator. I might just be able to do this.
    Well done nice to see you doing some research but I would stay away from hostgator.

Now my question is, can I use the fonts that I want to use doing it this way? I am trying to go for an old world look and feel and want to use vintage fonts.
    Have a look on google web fonts

Oh and I do have one more question.... How can I make sure that the webite is accessible from smart phones and tablets and such too. With everyone using these devices now, that should be a must too!
    Yes that is the way to go do a search for wordpress themes that are responsive.

Member #
    Well done nice to see you doing some research but I would stay away from hostgator.

Thanks
    Can you tell me why I should stay away from Hostgator? The videos I've been watching, the presentor strongly suggests it. Also who would you suggest? Just wondering? Thanks
    Last edited by schfarms; Aug 31st, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks
    Can you tell me why I should stay away from Hostgator? The videos I've been watching, the presentor strongly suggests it. Just wondering? Thanks
    Well they were good a few years ago but the company was acquired by EIG and the service went down hill after that. One of our clients was with them and on this side of the Atlantic the load speed for the site was so bad it was a joke. Do a google search and see what other people are saying about them.

EIG own a lot of web hosting company's Endurance International Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads