Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hello from Half Moon Bay, California

Member #
    Liked
    148 times

Talking Hello from Half Moon Bay, California

Hi all-

I signed up earlier today and thought I should make a quick post to introduce myself. I've lurked on this and other forums in the past but thought I'd try to take a more active role by creating an account and interacting more.

I've been working on the web since 2002, and my company is Crucial Creative. We're based in Half Moon Bay, California, and we work mostly with small and medium sized businesses, both locally and all over the country. In addition to web design and development, we also do a fair amount of print design, branding/identity, and photography.

Hope to be checking in here more often and get a chance to talk with active members.

Thanks!

Kevin
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Apr 19th, 2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Link removal.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Your hometown is mentioned in a Canadian song. Not sure if you knew that or not, but here it is. If AlphaMare is around, she may know this song.

By the way, i'm going to have to edit your post as we don't allow links until you make 100 posts. Then you can have a signature. If you keep posting some of the stuff you're posting though, you should get there pretty soon and with some useful commentary to boot.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I was just browsing homes in Half Moon Bay. I am trying to transfer to a school up in that area. I love the beach n was hoping I could get close. No way! Cheapest house for rent was 3x the cost I pay here in the Central Valley. I'ma have to get 2 full time jobs, 1 to afford school and 1 to afford rent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Thanks! I hadn't heard that song before. He may be referring the Canadian Half Moon Bay in BC. This one is definitely about us though:

Sorry about the link thing, I must have missed that in the rules. I thought I saw others linking in their intros, but looking again I must have just happened on one of the few links that slipped through the cracks: New Member from Denver, Colorado
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Still thinking about links: Has anyone considered just adding nofollow attributes to all links posted by new members? It seems odd not to allow linking in an introduction where it's providing context, yet allow followed links in the Ratings and Reviews section. If someone really just wanted to spam the forum with links, it seems like the easy route would be to post a review request and stuff their anchor text with keywords... My New Web Portfolio

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    No way! Cheapest house for rent was 3x the cost I pay here in the Central Valley.
    It's true, there's a serious lack of affordable housing anywhere in the SF Bay Area. HMB housing prices aren't so bad when you compare it to the rest of the area, but there are almost no rental options and very few apartments, so the handful of rental houses tend to go for a premium. Still cheaper than SF, and you get to live by the beach!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    Still thinking about links: Has anyone considered just adding nofollow attributes to all links posted by new members? It seems odd not to allow linking in an introduction where it's providing context, yet allow followed links in the Ratings and Reviews section. If someone really just wanted to spam the forum with links, it seems like the easy route would be to post a review request and stuff their anchor text with keywords... My New Web Portfolio
    They used to have nofollow links in the forum. For some reason, when the forum was upgraded to one of the newer versions of vBulletin the attributes went away. This wasn't my decision, though, so I can't speak to why that is. That's a question for veraderock...he's an employee of the forum owners.

The anchor text irritates me too, but it's a "feature" of newer versions of vBulletin. You enter a link, and vBulletin sends a CURL request to the page and extracts the title tag.

You're right about the one that slipped through. We've got a few active mods, but every so often one gets by us. Thanks for tipping us off!

And now...I have to go listen to that song, which means I have to interrupt Gordon Lightfoot. But I'm learning about new songs, so it's all good.
    khenney likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nice song. Sounds a little Jason Mraz-ish. Not bad!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by khenney View Post
    It's true, there's a serious lack of affordable housing anywhere in the SF Bay Area. HMB housing prices aren't so bad when you compare it to the rest of the area, but there are almost no rental options and very few apartments, so the handful of rental houses tend to go for a premium. Still cheaper than SF, and you get to live by the beach!
    Yeah its a huge hurdle to continuing my education. That area is where I want/you need to be.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    The bayside of the Peninsula (San Mateo, Redwood City, etc) has more apartments and lower rents, but nothing on the Peninsula is as affordable as the Central Valley. The East Bay is cheaper than the Peninsula, but still a reasonable commute to most of the Bay Area (and better access to public transportation than a lot of the Peninsula).
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads