Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Sending mail

Member #
    Hi all...

A simple question about IIS 5 - IIS 6. How do you make the e-mail client:
    MailMessage mail = new MailMessage();
    using System.Web.Mail

use special characters in the mails? I'm from Sweden and we send emails using the characters and . Post these and they simply don't show up. HELP! Quickly!

Member #
    Yet again I got the answer in another forum. Hmm. It seems like there is a lack of knowledge here...
    PM me for the solution.

Member #
    One last thingy:
    Since everyone seems so eager to know how to send mail via ASP .Net (according to the views statistics) I recommend this link:
    http://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/2.aspx
    //Henke

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    Yet again I got the answer in another forum. Hmm. It seems like there is a lack of knowledge here...
    With regard to ASP you're halfway right. There are a few highly skilled ASP members here, but they're a small minority (unfortunately, as we would like to have a member base as broad as possible in the coding community.)

Quote Originally Posted by echoSwe
    PM me for the solution.
    Beeing one of the few ASP/ASP.NET addicted users, we would very much appreciate if you laid out your solutions in the forums for all to see, instead of cloaking them through PM's.
    S. Rosland

ACW
    Member #
    Here is one way to use it with authentication.

Code:
    Dim mailMessage As System.Web.Mail.MailMessage

mailMessage.To = ""
    mailMessage.From = ""
    mailMessage.Subject = ""
    mailMessage.BodyFormat = System.Web.Mail.MailFormat.Text
    mailMessage.Body = ""

mailMessage.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate", "1") 'basic authentication
    mailMessage.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername", "username") 'set your username here
    mailMessage.Fields.Add("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword", "password") 'set your password here

System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "" 'URL to mail server

System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(mailMessage)

mailMessage = Nothing
    Affordable Business Web Site Hosting by Geo Redundant Hosting

Member #
    Alright thanks. Rosland:
    I did provide an address for them to read about system.web.mail... so... I've searched a lot afer this so I don't think there is any other topics about this problem - doesn't seem like many people have it. Also noone has PM:ed me, and if they wanted a solution they could just say so in this thread - right?

ACW: How does the authentication work? Is it through SSL? Why do you use MS addresses?

ACW
    Member #
    Many mail servers require the sender to authenticate with a valid user name and password before sending emails. This prevents the server from being used for spam. So all it does is make sure that you have a valid account on the server - no SSL or encryption is involved.

As far a the "MS addresses" - that is the way you tell it that you want to use authentication and allows you to set the user name and password. I've yet to find any other way to set that information. I think I read somewhere that authentication was kind of an afterthought - after many complaints, I'm sure. That would explain the awkward way to set it.
    Affordable Business Web Site Hosting by Geo Redundant Hosting

Remove Ads