Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am confused as far as what I should pursue for my web design and useage for music on my site. I am trying to collect different languages to go through other than javascript, html, and css for the website, but I noticed (for my father is learning java programming at work) that java would also be very useful. As far as I gather, javascript can be put into java... or not? but then I'm told they're very different and I can see why.

Just... trying to understand how I could use all these languages.

Member #
    Java is a server side language - meaning it is compiled on the servers side before being passed as HTML to the browser.

Javascript on the otherhand is a client-side language - meaning your browser "compiles" the language and spits out to the screen what must be executed.

Java (IMO) is one of the most powerful languages around. Its being used on Mars by NASA. Java is mostly used for applets, but more and more webpages are being made using JSP's and Servlets.

Javascript is used for all the small things on your site that you dont want your server to handle as you dont want to overload your server with unneccessary requests. I.E. form validation.

Hope this helps! :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jbagley
    Java is a server side language - meaning it is compiled on the servers side before being passed as HTML to the browser.

Javascript on the otherhand is a client-side language - meaning your browser "compiles" the language and spits out to the screen what must be executed.

Java (IMO) is one of the most powerful languages around. Its being used on Mars by NASA. Java is mostly used for applets, but more and more webpages are being made using JSP's and Servlets.

Javascript is used for all the small things on your site that you dont want your server to handle as you dont want to overload your server with unneccessary requests. I.E. form validation.

Hope this helps! :classic:
    Java is not passed by HTML nor does it have any relation to it; it's just the <applet> tag that tells the browser to display the Java plugin with the given main class.

Javascript, other than some syntax, has little in common with Java. Java is designed for applications, applets, server-side pages, and other large-scale programs. Javascript is intended for client-side simple usage and is used for popups, the losers.

BTW, NASA uses Java for more than just Mars research...it's the language I've been using there for 5 years running, and they say it's hard to find new hires that know it because they still teach C and C++ as the primary language at most university CMSC programs.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    Java is not passed by HTML nor does it have any relation to it; it's just the <applet> tag that tells the browser to display the Java plugin with the given main class.

Javascript, other than some syntax, has little in common with Java. Java is designed for applications, applets, server-side pages, and other large-scale programs. Javascript is intended for client-side simple usage and is used for popups, the losers.

BTW, NASA uses Java for more than just Mars research...it's the language I've been using there for 5 years running, and they say it's hard to find new hires that know it because they still teach C and C++ as the primary language at most university CMSC programs.
    Yes, I am in grade 11 and I took the computer programming course, and we were supposed to be learning C++ but the teacher switched to java. I was disappointed at first, but I then found out how powerful and popular java really is. I was thinking about learning JSP and using it on the web, but im sticking with PHP :lick:.

Remove Ads