Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's it! Java has crashed my browser for the last time - it's now disabled permanently.

Does anybody else share my opinion that it should NEVER be unleashed on unsuspecting web surfers?

It may have its uses elsewhere but on the web it's an archiac waste of space that needs to shuffle off and die.....in my opinion.

Oh, how I love those grey boxes with that stupid little coffee cup stuck on my screen to keep me amused while Windows gradually recovers itself enough to kill the process and return the 100% of my CPU that Java so desperately needed to suck into oblivion.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I dislike all plugins. However, don't blame the language itself, blame the coder. No sensible applet should use 100% CPU.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    True, it just seems that Java causes the most problems. I can't remember the last time FF crashed on me and the cause was not Java.

It's also not consistent - the applet may work as normal and then returning to it or refreshing causes it to lock everything up. This happens to me on all the machines I use so it's not a fault of the system I'm using. It seems a case of the wrong tool for the job.

Edit: Gotta add the wonderful backwards incompatibility of the Java Runtime Environment to my list of hates.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    JRE 1.5.0 is the current stable version, but few people are using it because it's not very widespread and it only stabilized a few months ago. 1.4.2 is the default that most people use.

Few languages are backwards-compatible with each other. For example, PHP 5 and PHP 4; the new PHP 5 features are syntax errors in PHP 4.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    but PHP5 doesn't use a friendly pop-up to entice you to update it. It's something that the developer/server admin would consider before installing.

At work we use an app. called Airshare. Basically it collates all the SMS messages sent in to TV programmes that have live voting and things like that. If a user updates Java Runtime after being prompted it kills Airshare on the machine. So far we've not been able to decipher what it does to the registry in order to resolve the problem without re-installing the OS.

If you've got any ideas on how to cleanly roll back the update I'd be very happy.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Java Applets are lame. They're not made to perform... at all. I've never seen one used that worked flawlessly, or didn't eat up massive amounts of resources.

I have to use a POS WYSIWYG editor at work that's Java based, and I can quite safely say it's the most annoying thing I've ever used. On first load, it takes 45 seconds to load (this is 100mbit intranet, mind you). Every subsequent load takes 20 seconds. Multiply 20 seconds times pages edited = a small lifetime wasted.

Not to mention, the continued display errors, crashing, and memory leaks. Honestly, I wonder if the developers of these applets ever use them. They're so stuck in the "everything sucks but Java" mindset they rarely see the sunlight... so yes, I share your opinion. Unfortunately, I can't disable it.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I love Java. I do hate applets though.

Remember, Sun doesn't make the only VM. A lot of those crashes might have been MS's VM (that I don't think they're allowed to bundle anymore).

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Definately using Sun's VM because the WYSYIWYG editor requires a beta version of Java (WTF??).
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Banned
    Member #
    I've never had any use for Java! The only thing I can see Java might be good for is those Nextel Phones! Does anyone else know what Java is good for?

Regards, Drew
    Captain Media

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I've used Java at NASA for the past five years for a large variety of projects. It's definitely "good for" something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads