Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruby Tutorials

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    A Superfast Guide To Ruby by Shadowfiend

Feel free to post links to your favorite Ruby / Rails tutorial!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It bears mentioning that my tutorial links to a few good references at the bottom, as well, not the least of which is the 15-minute interactive Ruby tutorial by Why the Lucky Stiff.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And, for those interested, below are the parts (updated as they get posted) of my Ruby on Rails tutorial (on WDF):

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    ~KY3~

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I should mention that I'm about to start a new Rails application, using concepts from Rails 1.2 like REST. This is a full-blown application that I want used by others, but I may go ahead and write a tutorial or two based on what I do -- especially concerning Test-Driven Development, which I plan to use, at least in theory :-)

Member #
    Hackety Hack -- I had some qualms about posting this resource, but it should be an important addition.

Essentially a project to make Ruby like BASIC ...an introductory language for kids to get their first programming experience. However, I feel this would be a good starter for the newbie, or those time strapped individuals who simply want to investigate Ruby.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes yes, I just saw it last night! Why is freaking awesome :-)

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I wish there was an OSX equivalent to that. Either way, I'm going through Apple's Developer tutorial. It's helpful and it's explaining things, but I'm using Locomotive and MAMP (I'll move to binary installs when I've found somewhere to back up my files before a format), and I've had to do a bit of messing about to get the two to recognise each other.

Now I've got into it though, I'm very impressed. I mean, you use two lines of code and you've already got a web interface for adding entries to the database! It would take ages to get all that done by hand, using PHP and XHTML. It seems very similar to what Xcode does when coding in Objective-C.

I think I'm going to try and learn this properly. I'm hoping there are explanations and tutorials on altering designs and stuff, I've no idea if it's done through Ruby or if you muck about with the public files later on. Then the URLs, is it like Apache's mod_rewrite? I've noticed you don't see any file names or extensions in the URL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads