Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, I'm brand new to this forum and am here simply because I have no where else to look and I'm hoping I can get some help from an actual human.

Anyways, my issue:
    I've built a website with MS Frontpage (will probably start using Expression Web soon...) and I need to find out a way to embed a program that I've written in Visual Basic into the website. Altho there is nothing of this project online, here is the website it will be going into... www.venntis.com .
    It will be set up in a way that a user will enter information into some forms and, based on their info, that will cause info to be pulled from a database, run some calculations, and return a value to the user. If you are familiar with a Carbon Footprint Calculator, that is what I'm trying to create...any help would be appreciated...feel free to respond via email as well.

Thank You.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hi Schwartz,

Do you have a Windows / .NET server to host your website on? You'll need that, even if it's by purchasing a shared Windows hosting plan.

Once you have your server environment, check out http://www.asp.net/ - they have a lot of information there about setting up a .NET website. They also have a huge community of people totally dedicated to .NET development.

Best of luck to you!

Member #
    I'm not sure if our server supports .NET...Providing that's the route I go, what would environment would I use to build my site? Visual Studio?
    Another option I was looking into was learning JavaScript and going that way. Would that be a better option?
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    Hi Schwartz,

Do you have a Windows / .NET server to host your website on? You'll need that, even if it's by purchasing a shared Windows hosting plan.

Once you have your server environment, check out http://www.asp.net/ - they have a lot of information there about setting up a .NET website. They also have a huge community of people totally dedicated to .NET development.

Best of luck to you!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Schwartz
    I'm not sure if our server supports .NET...Providing that's the route I go, what would environment would I use to build my site? Visual Studio?
    Another option I was looking into was learning JavaScript and going that way. Would that be a better option?
    You would use VisualStudio.NET to create your app. You can get it free from www.asp.net

JavaScript isn't the same as ASP/VB.NET - JS is front-end (client-side), and VB is back-end (server-side). Other alternatives to .NET are Java, PHP, and Ruby on Rails, which each also require special server configurations (usually Linux/Unix environments).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 169610
    You would use VisualStudio.NET to create your app. You can get it free from www.asp.net

JavaScript isn't the same as ASP/VB.NET - JS is front-end (client-side), and VB is back-end (server-side). Other alternatives to .NET are Java, PHP, and Ruby on Rails, which each also require special server configurations (usually Linux/Unix environments).
    If you're merely querying the database, I'd personally recommend using PHP, but that's because it's my favourite language. Although any server-side programming language would be able to do the deed - it's what you're comfortable with.

~huzi

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    First of all, you're bumping an old thread.

Second, did you even bother to read the thread? He's talking about embedding a VB.net calculator...PHP isn't an option here.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    BAN HIM!!! BAN HIM!!!!

Member #
    Thank you for this! I had the same issue!

Remove Ads