Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I'll first explain my ideas:

I would like a website that used the same design, and had the same areas (apart from the main content). I know how to do this using PHP includes and the like, but what I want to do is to allow a user update the page from a content management system, which when saved would update the page.

I presume that this would be done using a form style interface, allowing the user just to edit the current page and save it via submitting the form to a database which would store all the date.

What I was wondering was if anyone knew how to do this, had any examples or links that may be of help to me in creating this.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    You mean an interface similar to what happens here (WDF), when you press the 'edit' link below a post?
    (meaning you get a textarea box filled with the present posts content, open for editing)

If so, I could probably give you a skeletal code (for you to build on), later tonight when I'm in my hotelroom (if they have WLAN).

Unless someone else beats me to it
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Take a look at the open source Mambo content server.

http://www.mamboserver.com/

Its free and quite easy to use.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I would recommend Mambo too... it's very easy to use... also lots of free add-on scripts (modules/components), templats and the like (see http://www.mamboportal.com)

Sean

Member #
    Thanks, rosland's suggestion is what I was looking for. If you could come up with a basic code then that would be great!

Regarding Mambo, I find it has way too many add-on scripts to begin with, and I already have the design, I just want to make it easier to edit for the user.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This could be quite complex depending on what you want to do. Which one of these best explains it?

1. Set number of pages, different areas of content on each page
    2. Different number of pages, set areas of content on each page
    3. Different number of pages, different areas of content on each page

Different number of pages: the client wants the ability to add pages.
    JR

Member #
    The one which best explains it is the first one. There will be a set number of pages (though the number is unknown at the moment) and the main body section will change on each page.

Member #
    Sorry for the late post, The Hotel's WLAN broke down yesterday, and they just got it back online today (now actually).

Attached is one PHP page, and one text file containing the neccessary information to create the example article-table.

I've made a simple page for you. The page consists of a table containing four hyperlinks in the first row, and a content area in the second row. The third and final row has an 'edit' button.

All content is extracted from a table. When you press one of the links, it retrieves content from the database. If you press 'edit', you get a textarea (populated with the article content from that link). You can now edit that article to your hearts desire, and click 'Store Changes'. The page will then reload and present the edited content from the database.

The code and the table is made with minimum code, so you can easily pick it apart to understand the mechanics of it.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Thanks I'll look at it tomorrow at the same time when I am back on my computer.

Member #
    Looks nice

One thing I was wondering was if there was a way the edit button would be invisible to normal users in some fashion? Otherwise I was wondering about having it on another page to edit a different page.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads