Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I need a simple counter for a client's website just to count how many hits are made from the user. Client's request.

Would you have a recommendation for a php-and-object-oriented-challenged graphic designer? Is there one out there?

Thank you!
    CA

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I apologize for the double post. Wasn't sure who would be better to ask.

I downloaded a counter onto my mac. It is a cgi file. But what do with it? How do I actually implement it onto my website pages? I think this is what confuses me the most (although, I'm sure it's REALLY easy).

Thank you,
    CA

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I suggest you use PHP for one just because it's easier and, if it uses a database, probably less server-intensive.

How to install PHP/MySQL on OS X: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    -=I think what he means is how does he call it on his page.=-

There should be directions that come with the script, either in the INSTALL file or in the heading of the script file itself, open it with notepad or similar text editor (not sure on a MAC)and read the instructions. If you are running static html pages then you will need to follow the directions on calling the counter. Depending on which script you found, it may be a simple img tag or a javascript tag to actually get the counter to display on your page and correctly count the hits.

If your pages are SSI pages then you can simply use the execute tag to call the script.

If you pages are PHP then you will find it easier to get a PHP coded script, otherwise you will have to take a crash course in getting a perl script to work inside a php script, it is possible but not recomended for newbies to php/perl languages.

Without knowing which script you downloaded I can't give you any more specific details than that.

Member #
    At http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...rams/Counters/ I downloaded the "txtPHPCounter new" script. Just the first one. I know I've seen counters on amature webpages. Don't know how they might do it. In this case, I might get by with doing an amature counter, IF the only option is learning AND APPLYING PHP in less than a week.

Yes, I have an html site I'm creating in Dreamweaver. And this is a php file (only one file showed up on my desktop). It shows a cgi extenstion. I double click on it and see garbled text in an explorer window.

I know enough in Flash, for instance, to action script with basic passing of variables. But my designer brain doesn't catch on so quickly to object oriented--takes me literally 10x the time. Barely made it through a C++ class. So, with that background in mind, if I do need to do a crash course in php, is this too overwhelming to do? I don't have too much time to learn it, but I do have a drive if it is the O N L Y solution here.

If PHP isn't that bad, I'm willing to try it. I'll just have to find an excellent crash course resource. But I'm also open to amature solutions at this point, as the deadline is SOON!

Thank you!
    CA

Member #
    ALSO, this is a SIMPLE site for a school district. No d-bases. I would love to learn this PHP stuff for future, but if there's a closer solution and PHP is too difficult for me in this time frame, then amature might be the way to go (ugh!!).

CA

Member #
    You would probably do better by going to http://www.statsmachine.com/counter.html and using that one until you can get a firm understanding of the PHP language.

To use the script that you downloaded, you will either need to add .html extension in your application type for php so the server will parse the code in an html document. This usually isn't recommended since every html page will be parsed by PHP. It also requires either your own box or a host that gives you the ability to add custom MIME types for your account.

...Or you will need to rename your index file to index.php OR index.phtml OR whatever MIME type is setup for PHP parsing and go that route.

My suggestion is to go with a remotely hosted counter for now.

Member #
    Thank you. I will try that link out. I hesitate with others hosting it because I am dependent on whether they choose to keep it free or not or if they stay. But, as you say, it'll probably work for now.

As a front end graphic web designer I get stuck ALL THE TIME (it's like missing both arms) because I can't add these "little" features. (counters, discussion boards, chat rooms, etc.). Without going overkill, I need to find a professional, trustworthy solution. Would learning PHP help me enough with all of these? Can I get by without having to "get another bachelors degree" in multiple languages (asp, java, SQL, etc.)?

If any other suggestions arrise, I'm open. And if you have a thought about the need for learning PHP, that would be helpful.

Again, thank you.
    CA =)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You don't really need to learn how to PROGRAM those things with PHP, because the nature of PHP is that people openly share their "little features" with eachother.

All you'd have to learn is enough PHP to be able to INTEGRATE the already functional snippets into your sites.

That is a relatively simple step. I suggest that you take a look at http://www.php.net for some basic tutorials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads