Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    i have worked alot in html but not with php or other higher languages i would like to know if anybody has any suggestions where to start also is php a scripted language or can it work on the server or both? does it have to be embeded or does it have externeal componets does it have advanced abilitys eg:forums,login ect... please help me with this
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    It can do a little bit on its own without a server. You can use includes that way. It can be embedded or work in an external file that you reference in the code (as a form action, for instance). It has very advanced abilities. Most forums use PHP.

I would go pick out a book from your local bookstore as the topic is so detailed that you cannot pick up on everything from online tutorials.

Member #
    PHP started out as a language to be embedded inside web pages to do advanced things. It has evolved into a very mature fast and well-specified language now. You can even run it on the command line if you want (I have a very important work-related analysis script that is run from the command line PHP interpreter). In short, it became a very powerful scripting language.

You certainly can use it to build forums and login forms and more complex stuff.

Apart from that, your question is quite open-ended. So if you have specific questions, just ask
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    ok i will pick up a few books on it what am i looking for (what specs rect)
    also how would you wrte a simple signin script or forum script
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    I wouldn't start with a forum script. It takes a lot of knowledge to complete one. As for a login script, you need the login form, some session variables, some cookies, and a logout button to clear the session. So in short: read up on sessions!
    eKstreme
    eKstreme.com - Free website tools!
    fontfox - free fonts Hand-picked quality fonts.

Member #
    When I started learning PHP sessions, http://www.free2code.net/plugins/art...ead.php?id=184 helped me a lot.

From that I was able to figure out how to password protect areas, like admin areas of scripts etc...

Member #
    I learnt from a book, but it's best to first look on an online tutorial to get the hang of it, and then go from there. My first script was a shoutbox :P.

P.S.: PHP is actually a 'lower level' language compared to HTML, not higher.

Member #
    thanks for the help!!
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Hi, I am reletivly new to PHP and have self-taught myself over the last 2 years. I started out by reading a few online tutorials, but in most cases, they were quite specific to a certain task, ie. how to build a login script, or how to build a shopping cart.

I found a great book written by a couple of Aussies, Luke Welling and Laura Thomas, called "PHP and MySQL Web Development". Published by Developer's Library.

Its starts off with the basics of PHP and gains difficulty as the chapters roll on. As the PHP levels get higher, it starts getting into implementing MySQL. It also has a lot of specific tutorials such as shopping carts, user authentication, content management and even has a tutorial on building your own web mail site.

So for me, it took me from knowing nothing at all about PHP to being able to build a database driven accomodation website complete with a booking system and even a shopping cart. It was about AU$99 2 years ago for the second edition, i'd assume that the third may be out now. Even though it has a reletivly high price tag....it was well worth it and it has payed for itself many times over with work I have gained from knowing PHP and MySQL. Cheers, Nickuss.

Member #
    thanks for the refrence i will look for it (much apritiation on all the help...)
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads