Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Search Script?

Member #
    I am doing a script where I list "things" in a DB.

I was just wondering if anyone had a good Idea about how to go around it. I suppose I can code it I just wanted to know if I should do it my way:

1. User searches
    2. Script searches "keyword" field in the "index" table for matching keywords... these results get displayed first.
    2. Script searches "description" field in the "index" table for matching words... these results get displayed next.
    3. Script searches in the "similar" table for similar words, and then searches the "index" table with those similar words and displays these last.

Would that work, or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks
    Tom

Member #
    Sounds like an overkill to me, is your site HUGE?

However, if you got it working, all credits to you!

Maybe you can post your DB structure (all tables) and query lists?

A multiple task query like that would be interesting to see for other members. Especially how you use intertable relationship to optimize your search parameters! (FULLTEXT columns and use of other optimizing indexes relevant to multi-table-column comparison searches)

Obviously, you have not placed all this info in one table (as info apperantly is cross referenced through some common denominator in different tables).

I would like to see a short description of what kind of info you are gathering/holding, and how you have distributed that through your different tables (how you relate these different topics/articles throug different tables), and what table indicies you use to tie them all together.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    err... I don't have the site as yet. I am scripting the site. I was just wondering if that would be a good way to do it! lol

The script is a search site. (kinda). Basically, the user types in a keyword, and so on...

Table structure (i was thinking of):

Table1: Sites
    - Name
    - Description
    - Keywords

Table2: Simlar_Words
    - Word
    - Similar_Word

And then, I was gonna do:
    1. search the "sites" table to display all sites with same keywords
    2. search the "sites" table again, to display all sites with same words in the description field
    3. search the "similar_words" table to find all similar words, and then re-search the "sites" table again with those similar words and display all those.

Its really not that complicated. lol

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To be honest you'd probably get almost exactly the same results if you just used the mySQL fulltext search across all the relevant fields of the first table ordered by relevance.

I've been using that method on an intranet site with about 100 users over the past six months and I've not had any complaints about irrelevant results.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    To be honest you'd probably get almost exactly the same results if you just used the mySQL fulltext search across all the relevant fields of the first table ordered by relevance.

I've been using that method on an intranet site with about 100 users over the past six months and I've not had any complaints about irrelevant results.
    Whats the fulltext search?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Member #
    thanks

Remove Ads