Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Creating Forums

Member #
    K, i have started working on a guild site, and one of the features that makes guild sites good are forums. However i have never worked with PHP or forums for that matter.

I know that there are sites that specialize in creating free forums (ex: www.phpbbforfree.com), but using thoughs would ruin the theme of the site and i dont want that.

So i am asking, where is the best place to create forums for my site. Thanks for your help.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMasterMiller
    I know that there are sites that specialize in creating free forums (ex: www.phpbbforfree.com), but using thoughs would ruin the theme of the site and i dont want that.

So i am asking, where is the best place to create forums for my site. Thanks for your help.
    How come you think a coding soluion would ruin a non existing site?

You have to remember that all the free boards are offering coding solutions primarily. The layout is just a demo of how it could potentially look. You could alter the presentation to fit your needs.

Just look at this forum. It's based on the vBulletin code for forums. filburt1 (the admin) has just altered the apperance to fit his idea.
    He has of course also made some hacks to the original code to include functionality beyond the original code. However, the bulk of the code is untouched. If you want to make a completelyn new forum, that would take you many years (if you want to include the functionality of this forum).

It appears to be a layout issue with you. Work on the layout instead, and then port that to a workable framework, like these forums are based upon.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    rosland I think he just doesn't want to link to "boardname.proboards248424.com" because he couldn't customize the layout of that. IPB or vB would work well for his idea though. if he hosts it himself.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Frames can alleviate linking to another site though.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I keep hearing ppl talk about how they can edit the codes from other forums and put them on there pages. Maybe i am not as good at code editing as you but i cant figure it all out, is there anyone that can help me.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallout
    rosland I think he just doesn't want to link to "boardname.proboards248424.com" because he couldn't customize the layout of that...
    You're right. I thought he was setting up his own.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    You can download phpBB (http://phpbb.com) and install it when you have created a site. For the layout, you have to edit some files, I think.

Member #
    Is there any program that you can use to edit your forums(phpbb) before you have chosen a host?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Tons. Do you just want to change the look of the forum software?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    yea, how do i change it without uploading it to the host (mostly sense i dont have it hosted yet). What software or other options do i have to change the look of the forums.

Remove Ads